Chainsaw problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To richen the carb you will likely need to modify the adjuster stops or whatever they're called. There are a few threads about how to do it in the search. I dunno about a 20:1 ratio, that seems a bit much honestly...

Yes it is closing......this thing just won't start........has to be compression......It sure does act like it has enough to start but it just doesn't......spark plug gets wet........spark plug sparks..........has to be damage.....Robb

Not many choices for lack of compression. Scoring/damaged piston, cylinder damage, stuck rings, stuck decomp., bad cylinder seal, spark plug/area damage.

How wet was the plug? The photos look as though the saw is completely flooded. Pull the plug, flip the saw upside down and let it sit overnight. Wipe the plug off and re-install in the morning. Pull the decomp shut, set the choke, and give the saw no more than 5 good pulls. If it does not fire pull the plug and see if it is soaked.

Last edited:
Not many choices for lack of compression. Scoring/damaged piston, cylinder damage, stuck rings, stuck decomp., bad cylinder seal, spark plug/area damage.

How wet was the plug? The photos look as though the saw is completely flooded. Pull the plug, flip the saw upside down and let it sit overnight. Wipe the plug off and re-install in the morning. Pull the decomp shut, set the choke, and give the saw no more than 5 good pulls. If it does not fire pull the plug and see if it is soaked.

The saw looks flooded from me pouring oil in the spark plug hole to see if it was lack of compression. It would hit but not start. For a long time out in the woods today I thought it wasn't getting gas. But it is getting gas. The plug gets fairly wet. And I've changed the plug with the one from my 142 with no success. The saw is sitting next to my wood stove as we speak. This is the worst time for all of this to happen to me.........I hope I can get it sorted out tomorrow. I can't even sleep from worrying about what i'm going to do......Robb

The saw looks flooded from me pouring oil in the spark plug hole to see if it was lack of compression. It would hit but not start. For a long time out in the woods today I thought it wasn't getting gas. But it is getting gas. The plug gets fairly wet. And I've changed the plug with the one from my 142 with no success. The saw is sitting next to my wood stove as we speak. This is the worst time for all of this to happen to me.........I hope I can get it sorted out tomorrow. I can't even sleep from worrying about what i'm going to do......Robb

This is kinda in the back of my mind; Are you able to open the choke and shine a light through the carb, to see the inlet side of the piston?

I am wondering if something has gotten in from that side.

From your pics, it sure looks like a lot of buildup from incomplete combustion.

This is kinda in the back of my mind; Are you able to open the choke and shine a light through the carb, to see the inlet side of the piston?

I am wondering if something has gotten in from that side.

From your pics, it sure looks like a lot of buildup from incomplete combustion.

You can't see clear through the carb because there is a elbow at the front of the carb. I just talked to Lowes and they said no problem bring it in. We shall see. Robb

You can't see clear through the carb because there is a elbow at the front of the carb. I just talked to Lowes and they said no problem bring it in. We shall see. Robb

I hope it works out with Lowes. I would still look at a bigger saw for the mill.

IMO it's like pulling a Bobcat around with an S10. Yeah it will do it and yeah you can be easy on it, slow take offs, easy on the brakes, etc but it's still going to be hard on the truck. It was never made to pull Bobcats.

I know you think your easy on it, but the 455 was never meant to run a mill. But like I said it's just my opinion.

Ya!! I agree. You can bring a big truck to a small job. but , you can,t finish a big job with a small truck. you just spend allot $$$$$$$$$ fixing stuff.:greenchainsaw:

Well I have a 24V DC electric vehicle motor that is just begging for something to do.....plus I have a big controller for it......doesn't sound too far fetched to me. Of course the batts would have to be feeding it through a Cord because of the weight..........don't laugh...I may try it.....Robb

If your thinking of building a mill I would suggest a bandsaw mill. I've seen it done using car tires to run the blade on. They cut the spindles off a rear axle of a front wheel drive car.

I would think trying a brand new Bosch or NGK spark plug, gapped correctly might do it. Saw is new but plugs have been known to crap out and it is a cheap way to fix a problem. May need a carb cleaning, you never know. Bad fuel oil mix, dust entered carb etc?

I hope it works out with Lowes. I would still look at a bigger saw for the mill.

IMO it's like pulling a Bobcat around with an S10. Yeah it will do it and yeah you can be easy on it, slow take offs, easy on the brakes, etc but it's still going to be hard on the truck. It was never made to pull Bobcats.

I know you think your easy on it, but the 455 was never meant to run a mill. But like I said it's just my opinion.

Lowes now has the saw. They said it was under warrantee and won't be a problem......I took it in with the bar off because my bar is drilled to take my mill........for some reason I'm expecting trouble from them.....Robb

I'm not real fond of the big box stores but they are good about returns and customer satisfaction. I hope this one gets the job done. I do agree, milling is hard on chainsaws. I had a bandsaw mill with a 20 horse diesel and I could bog it down if I wasn't careful

Honestly man I'd think if you could get a big displacement older saw it would probably be better for milling. Maybe somebody has said this aready, I dunno. I'd think you could get something pretty decent for the price of a 455 rancher.

Honestly man I'd think if you could get a big displacement older saw it would probably be better for milling. Maybe somebody has said this aready, I dunno. I'd think you could get something pretty decent for the price of a 455 rancher.

well I have no doubt that your correct. The thing is that right now I absolutely do not have the money for a bigger saw. Since I have alot of electric drive parts around I am seriously considering building an electric drive unit that will accept my rancher bars and chain. I know firsthand how much power these dc motors have and I literally have everything I need to build it except a sprocket. If successful, it should outcut just about anything out there. Robb

Guess you didn't read the thread... :laugh:

well I have no doubt that your correct. The thing is that right now I absolutely do not have the money for a bigger saw. Since I have alot of electric drive parts around I am seriously considering building an electric drive unit that will accept my rancher bars and chain. I know firsthand how much power these dc motors have and I literally have everything I need to build it except a sprocket. If successful, it should outcut just about anything out there. Robb

You could prolly find a decent bigger displacement saw to run that mill for around 300 bucks.

Gary

Guess you didn't read the thread... :laugh:

You could prolly find a decent bigger displacement saw to run that mill for around 300 bucks.

Gary

Thats what I'm saying....I don't have 300 bucks to spend right now. I serisously doubt that I could get 300 for the both saws I have put together. What model and brand do you suggest if I did have the money? Robb

http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1962&cat=6

Have a look at this. Still probably on the small side but I'm sure it would pay for itself at least. There's an 066 for $400, that's what you really want. Honestly, I don't know anything at all about milling, but I'd look for a big older low revving torquey saw for cheap on craigslist or at a yard sale, etc...(Again, I'm sure this has been said before :monkey: )

Thats what I'm saying....I don't have 300 bucks to spend right now. I serisously doubt that I could get 300 for the both saws I have put together. What model and brand do you suggest if I did have the money? Robb

Keep your eye on craigslist and be willing to take a drive, ASAP. There has been some deals lately, 046 for $200.00 and such. You could also post that you are looking for one and you will receive many responses. Ohio has a lot of large used Stihls on the market now it is just a matter of knowing where to look and jumping on them fast when they pop up.

For reference good ready to use 066-660s for $500.00 are common. 70cc saws in the $300.00+ range are common as well.

Back