Chainsaw problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it won't start for sure. I basically have a brand new saw that won't run and this will completely ruin me selling anymore walnut. I built a small kiln and I had some buyers set up for rifle stock blanks and I'm about broke from trying to get all of this set up ....now my main machine is offline......Robb

where are you located??? i feel bad for you if you are close ill bring my 066 over and we can get it done as well as get a breakdown on the saw

Well I for one have never heard on any website of a guy doing serious milling with a homeowner saw. Sorry but it is a poor choice for a milling setup.

Again, it sucks that the saw might be burned up... but it's not the end of the world. Pull that muffler off and have a look inside to see what the piston and rings look like.

Gary

Is there a difference between milling and serious milling?...lol......This makes me want to build a dc electric chainsaw for milling. That is more in my mechanical expertise. I've built several electric vehicles and I know it could be done. Robb

Is there a difference between milling and serious milling?...lol......This makes me want to build a dc electric chainsaw for milling. That is more in my mechanical expertise. I've built several electric vehicles and I know it could be done. Robb

To be honest... milling is milling, and it is hard on any saw... :)

Gary

where are you located??? i feel bad for you if you are close ill bring my 066 over and we can get it done as well as get a breakdown on the saw

I'm between Wilmington OH and Washington CH Oh........

Actually I would think the power cycle of a large electric motor would be far more conducive to milling. My grandpa used to talk about how much more efficient things were when the gang saws were switched over from steam to electric. :)

Actually I would think the power cycle of a large electric motor would be far more conducive to milling. My grandpa used to talk about how much more efficient things were when the gang saws were switched over from steam to electric. :)

lol i have an electric mac

How big were the logs you were milling and how many did you cut? I dunno but like everybody else said pull the muffler and look at the piston and ring, that'll tell you for sure...

lol i have an electric mac

Well I have a 24V DC electric vehicle motor that is just begging for something to do.....plus I have a big controller for it......doesn't sound too far fetched to me. Of course the batts would have to be feeding it through a Cord because of the weight..........don't laugh...I may try it.....Robb

How big were the logs you were milling and how many did you cut? I dunno but like everybody else said pull the muffler and look at the piston and ring, that'll tell you for sure...

24" bar logs were about 15" I've cut a grand total of 2 of them at about 5 feet long......Robb

Well I for one have never heard on any website of a guy doing serious milling with a homeowner saw. Sorry but it is a poor choice for a milling setup.

Again, it sucks that the saw might be burned up... but it's not the end of the world. Pull that muffler off and have a look inside to see what the piston and rings look like.

Gary

How quickly they forget... sap milled with a 455... BRAAAAWWWWWHHHHHHAAAA

Last edited:
Well my longest cuts have been about 6 feet. I've NEVER pushed that saw. If this is engine damage, this will be the last husky that I own......Robb

Sad to say,, but if you mill with a comparable Stihl you won't have any better luck, particularly if you don't mess with the carb first.

Back