Chainsaw problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1962&cat=6

Have a look at this. Still probably on the small side but I'm sure it would pay for itself at least. There's an 066 for $400, that's what you really want. Honestly, I don't know anything at all about milling, but I'd look for a big older low revving torquey saw for cheap on craigslist or at a yard sale, etc...(Again, I'm sure this has been said before :monkey: )

The first saw on my mill was an 1100CD it was replaced with a 480CD. A perfect example of running and then walking.

If you are planning on milling a lot try and get a saw that still has parts available from a local dealer.

Thats what I'm saying....I don't have 300 bucks to spend right now. I serisously doubt that I could get 300 for the both saws I have put together. What model and brand do you suggest if I did have the money? Robb

Thanks for all the info from everyone.....I'll try to get something bigger eventually.....I don't know how long thats gonna take though.......you can only do what you can do........Robb

Thanks for all the info from everyone.....I'll try to get something bigger eventually.....I don't know how long thats gonna take though.......you can only do what you can do........Robb

I'll tell you another reason I'm so disheartened about this saw puking on me the way it did. I've been milling with chainsaws for over 20 years off and on. The original saw that I started with ran the mill for years!! And its about the same size as the rancher. Sachs Dolmar 119. It didn't have any problem handling anything that I asked it to do. Thats why this husqvarna breaking after 2 logs doesn't make any sense to me. Robb

Any saw with a primer button turns me off. You mine as well mill with a weedeater! You need more CCs under the hood for the next saw. Wish you luck now :givebeer:

http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1962&cat=6

Have a look at this. Still probably on the small side but I'm sure it would pay for itself at least. There's an 066 for $400, that's what you really want. Honestly, I don't know anything at all about milling, but I'd look for a big older low revving torquey saw for cheap on craigslist or at a yard sale, etc...(Again, I'm sure this has been said before :monkey: )

sounds like a job for a good old husky 2100 . Ihave seen some on ebay recently for 300.
Mick

I'll tell you another reason I'm so disheartened about this saw puking on me the way it did. I've been milling with chainsaws for over 20 years off and on. The original saw that I started with ran the mill for years!! And its about the same size as the rancher. Sachs Dolmar 119. It didn't have any problem handling anything that I asked it to do. Thats why this husqvarna breaking after 2 logs doesn't make any sense to me. Robb

My 455 came with a really lean carb setup. I also have done a lot of chainsaw milling and won't use my 455 if I had the choice. The milling I do requires a long time in a hard cut..builds a lot of heat for a prolonged period of time relative to a typical chainsaw job. I don't know if these new plastic saws with ECO lean setups can handle that faster heat buildup that the lean carb setting will cause. I wonder if those plastic saws can get rid of the heat as fast as my old metal saws...and does that contribute to accellerated heat buildup and possible failure. If you have to use a 455 buy one of those Husqvarna carb adjustment tools...the adjustment screws are like little splines and you need that tool to work with them. I would definitely fatten up the fuel/air mixture. I run 32:1 two stroke mix with a synthetic for all my two strokes. Having said all of the above...Your piston didn't look like you had either a over heating issue or seizure issue. Wonder if your decompression button failed.

For milling I use an old McCulloch 797 123cc saw. Its got two very important qualities.

1) Big "easy" power. I don't really have to beat that old saw when milling.
2) Enough bar oil capacity and ability to keep that 36inch bar lubed.

I have successfully used my Homelite C-7 and an old McCulloch 80cc 250 for the same Alaskan mill. They work "OK" but there is no replacement for displacement when it comes to those 15-16 foot long & 30inches think hard maple logs.

Those Old Homie 925's I have get too hot...so I couldn't use them. The gas started boiling in the tank...not good.

Bottom line is pick your saw carefully as milling is hard on them. These lean "ECO freindly" setups on new saws are blowups waiting to happen in my opinion. As was mentioned before big displacement Stihl's and Husqvarna's are the right choices..but 80cc class "C series" Homelites and 80cc McCulloch's actually work well and are usually under $300 bucks setup ready to cut.

Last edited:

Please reread the first 2-3 pages of this Thread. These guys are trying to help you. They are telling you the truth.

Well this is just great....the saw hasn't even been worked hard......doesn't even make sense why I would have this kind of problem already......Robb

yes its been worked hard

Well my longest cuts have been about 6 feet. I've NEVER pushed that saw. If this is engine damage, this will be the last husky that I own......Robb

not the saws fault.

Actually its not unusual for a 455 to be milling.....I've read lots of posts on other websites from people milling with a 455 or even smaller than that. I'm telling you, this saw was not worked hard. In my mind it wasn't even broken in yet so I was running it easy. Robb

????????????????????

Seriously though, if your counting on this saw to make you money milling, then don't, it will just let you down. Its not the right saw for the job. I use a 394 husky for milling, wouldn't do it with anything less. I tried my 046 mag for 2 cuts once, and will never do it again.

Back