Pictures of my first CAD purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnnt

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, i finally got to pick up my 024 from the seller, Been waiting 3 days and it seemed like it was a year! I couldn't wait to get my hands on it!

It was filthy when i got it so when i got home i set about cleaning it. Bearing in mind that i don't really have any idea about saws, i stripped it down a bit, the pull cord came off, along with the recoil, the top pieces of plastic, the air filter was removed and washed, the clutch cover removed, the handle, the bucking spike and both of the caps were took off for some TLC.

It needs a bar, chain and a sprocket. The seller also said it was temperamental with the kill switch, so i will have to check for loose wires etc...

It has only one nut on the clutch cover, and an adjuster screw. I am assuming this is for the oil as it has the chain tensioning screw at the side of the spike like on the newer model Stihls.

Also, can someone date it for me roughly as there is no sticker on the chain brake which would tell me the year. Where will the serial number be for this saw?

Anyway, here are some before pictures... excuse the quality as they're from my phone.

before1.jpg

before2.jpg

before3.jpg

before4.jpg

before5.jpg

after6.jpg

after7.jpg

after8.jpg

after9.jpg

So what do you think? Have i done a good job? I paid £55.00 for it in the end, they're selling on ebay over here for around £160-£180.

Comments welcome good or bad.... Cheers!

just shows what a little bit of work can do. Looks nice but I see you have a broken bar mount stud someone has cut a groove in it and then given up just be carefull not to strip the threads when you change it. Well done ! wonder how many people passed on it because the could'nt see past the dirt ?

nicely done! Reminds me of cleaning my saw a while back :) Baileys sells those bar nuts by the way.

Ray

Last edited:
So what do you think? Have i done a good job? I paid £55.00 for it in the end, they're selling on ebay over here for around £160-£180.

Comments welcome good or bad.... Cheers!
nice one, how the hell did you get it for that price? I love my dad's old 024AVS, learnt to cut with it many years ago - had since new, no repairs only servicing. Still puts out 170psi, runs like new and is a pleasure to use. I'm sure you'll love it.
Now you need a 70cc saw:chainsaw:

just shows what a little bit of work can do. Looks nice but I see you have a broken bar mount stud someone has cut a groove in it and then given up just be carefull not to strip the threads when you change it. Well done ! wonder how many people passed on it because the could'nt see past the dirt ?
nope, that's standard stihl - for some reason the 024's only ever had one stud. Some people replace them with a full stud. Never saw the need though:popcorn:
edit
BTW the AVS is nice with a 16", but maybe would be better with a 15". Yours is just the AV version - maybe think about 15 or 14. And stihl .325 RM or RSC chain

Last edited:
I don't think the stud is broken as it has a proper finish on the end of it if that makes sense.

I don't know how i managed to get it for that price, i thought i would have a go and got lucky i guess... :D

Don't know if i am going to keep it or sell it on and make some money on it as it's an 026/260 i really want.

Although i would love a bigger saw i don't REALLY HONESTLY have a use for one... :cry:

I don't think the stud is broken as it has a proper finish on the end of it if that makes sense.
see my above post
I don't know how i managed to get it for that price, i thought i would have a go and got lucky i guess... :D
yes, lucky...
Don't know if i am going to keep it or sell it on and make some money on it as it's an 026/260 i really want.
can't tell you what the real world difference is, but i'd suspect not much. They're basically the same saw. I guess the 026 would have more power, but how much you'd notice it someone else will have to say. I know the 024AVS isn't a slouch and the AV can't be that far behind.
Although i would love a bigger saw i don't REALLY HONESTLY have a use for one... :cry:
Yeah but that's no reason not to get one ;)

Nice work, keep this one and get a bigger saw. Then find some jobs to get the bigger saw in some logs. When you are are a gardener you would run into some jobs? When people know you got the equipment it will come.

Good luck and thanks for sharing the pics!!

Lex

Cheers! i haven't had much success in people asking for tree work yet, but i suppose i have to be patient! lol. :)

cheers mate.

It will come when you deliver good work, start with cutting some firewood for the people around. Chop and stack the firewood, make a little money out of it.

I dont know if you can get some training or already followed classes in tree climbing etc. But once they know you are okay it will come.

Cheers and enjoy your CAD,

Lex

Thanks for correcting me Harry, I did wonder about it since I thought someone had gone to a bit of trouble and then not to finish the job seemed odd, now I know!

Once you use that 024 it will be the MS180 for sale lol you will NEVER use it again!
For chains Kwikchip seems best on ebay for stihl RSC at the moment i just got a Stihl 25" bar and chain from him:) For less than the price of a Husky bar locally:)

Once you use that 024 it will be the MS180 for sale lol you will NEVER use it again!
For chains Kwikchip seems best on ebay for stihl RSC at the moment i just got a Stihl 25" bar and chain from him:) For less than the price of a Husky bar locally:)
+1 on all accounts! Although I didn't realise he did bars... might check them out

yeah i have been looking at his shop, seems good. I am going to ask him about sprockets...

can you tell me what sprocket i need from the pics?

Cheers...

Latest posts

Back