026 carb problems?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmc2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hi guys. i am working on an 026 for a friend. it would only run on choke. i rebuilt the carb. now it runs great for about thirty seconds then shuts off. you can throttle it through the rough spot and it will run for another little bit then shut off. it starts perfect and runs perfect. just for a short time though. new plug. i sprayed carb cleaner around the boot and impulse line and no leaks. any ideas? thanks.

Did you remove the needle/lever/spring and hold it up to a light and make sure
it is not partially clogged?

Check out the crank seals. I have seen many crank seals go bad on the 026's.

vacuum and pressure test.

you did state that it would only run on choke. i assume that was why you rebuilt the carb.
the carb may not have been the problem.

Check the fuel line. With time, they get soft and gummy, and can collapse and stick shut after running a little.

it only ran on choke before i built the carb. i know it was partially the problem cause the screen was full of junk.

i'll try line and filter tomorrow. i've been through the carb prob four times. i raised the lever height a little the last time cause it looked low and i thought it was fixed.... till about thirty seconds later...lol. the line makes sense cause it is awful spongey. it is very low hour but its sat a lot.

When you cleaned the carb, did you use an ultrasonic cleaner?
Before I got mine, I was 0 for 4 on carb rebuilds, they always ran worse afterward, if at all.

Since I have been using the USC to clean them, I am 3 for 3! They all run like new. Just a thought.

i use carb cleaner in a spray can. its clean as a whistle. the stuff in the screen was powdery residue. i assume from old fuel. thats all that was in it.

i forgot to mention that almost every time i pulled the line off, especially the first time, that a lot of fuel sprayed out of the line. like it was under pressure. but i checked the vent and it seemed ok. i also tried loosening the cap a few times while it idled to make sure it vented but still no difference.

oh. well i don't have a vac problem then. i've just never saw fuel spray out like that.

Sounds like the same problem I had with my 026. I put a new carburator on it and it now runs fine. I guess something was plugged up inside the original.

well, i got a new line and filter installed. and it fixed 75 percent of the problem. it just took a lot longer for it to die. i checked the carb again and raised the lever again slightly and i think its fixed. every once and a while it idles funny, but doesn't die. the clutch springs are shot completely and i think that affects it some, kind of putting a load on it at idle. its not perfect, but i don't know what else to do. its hard to fix stuff on a budget...lol. maybe the clutch springs will even it out.

Did you pull the welch plug on the carb when you rebuilt it? The Walbro WT 194 and 22's that I have rebuilt are touchy if you don't get them really clean. I always pull the welch plugs and spray LOTS of carb cleaner and air through ALL the passages. You should also get the proper guage to set the metering lever to the correct height.

Latest posts

Back