026 carburetor box cover lock driving me nuts. Dumb issue buy I want it right.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't get the carb cover twist lock to work properly on my early 026. It has the round lock knob with spring and detent. I have put a new detent in and my guess is that the spacing between the air filter nut flanges and the carb box cover is not correct.
Is there supposed to be a gasket between the air cleaner and carb flange or is it just air cleaner nylon against the carb flange with no gasket? I don't see a gasket on the IPL
I can get it to lock just fine with a 90 degree turn when I just insert the air cleaner into the carb box cover (off the saw) but installed, it won't twist.
Pushing the lock knob in doesn't help. It feels like it's engaging one nut but not the other.
If pics would help I could post some tomorrow.

Any idea what's wrong?

Tim

I can't get the carb cover twist lock to work properly on my early 026. It has the round lock knob with spring and detent. I have put a new detent in and my guess is that the spacing between the air filter nut flanges and the carb box cover is not correct.
Is there supposed to be a gasket between the air cleaner and carb flange or is it just air cleaner nylon against the carb flange with no gasket? I don't see a gasket on the IPL
I can get it to lock just fine with a 90 degree turn when I just insert the air cleaner into the carb box cover (off the saw) but installed, it won't twist.
Pushing the lock knob in doesn't help. It feels like it's engaging one nut but not the other.
If pics would help I could post some tomorrow.

Any idea what's wrong?

Tim

I had an 026 give similar problems. I finally gave the cover a little extra push and wiggle and it seated about 1/16" lower and latched perfectly. Make sure nothing is keeping the AF cover from seating properly.

I had an 026 give similar problems. I finally gave the cover a little extra push and wiggle and it seated about 1/16" lower and latched perfectly. Make sure nothing is keeping the AF cover from seating properly.

Thanks for the tip. It didn't work for me though. It looks like the detent is hitting the air filter nut on the flange because as I turn the knob clockwise it lifts the cover. It will not turn counter clockwise. The cover and filter are both Stihls.

I'll keep fiddling with it

Fossil, try an OEM air filter. If its already an OEM air filter get a new one. I had one do the same thing till I swapped one off of a friends saw and it twisted and locked just as it was supposed to. I was at my wits end till I figured it out.

Last edited:
I would take my saw with me just to be sure. Or if you have a friend that has one you can try theirs to be sure otherwise I would for sure take the saw with me.

Latest posts

Back