028 Question????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD SKOOL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought an older but nice 028-WB. Has great compression and all but acts crazy! Wouldn't keep running so re-built carb and all. It runs good then acts like it wants to die then takes off and runs like crazy. It runs better when cold. I feel like the carb is o.k. with new diaphram and all. Could this be something to do with the points or condensor?:bang:

if all else is good and it acts like the carb, then yeah, best bet is the condenser.
lol, wanna buy one? I put a brand new stihl set ($21) in my old 028wb, and after much cussing, switched it to electronic. I would recommend the same, but thats just my experience.
-Ralph

I was turned onto it by lakeside53. all take the same unit if you have one laying around, or they are @$35 on ebay.
I used one out of a 036 parts saw
stihl # 0000 400 1300

I ran thru the IPLs, same number for 026, 029, 036, 039. pretty common stuff, probably a lot more take the same ignition, but I can't personally verify that, others can tho if necessary.

easy done, 2 screws for the ign, and run the kill switch wires up to the switch. take you 5 minutes to do and you can leave the disconnected points and condensor under the flywheel and don't remove the flywheel either.
-Ralph

Last edited:
Olds Skool, It runs better when cold? Then runs like crazy HAve you checked the gas tank vent? It sounds to me as if it is not getting enough gas. That is why I suggest that you check the vent.How about putting in a new gas filter? Possibly a bent or kinked gas line to me. I cannot see putting another ignition system when it could be a 3$ gas filter. It sounds like fuel starvation from hear.When you say it has good compression, I will assume that this is when it is cold.When it gets hot, how does it feel?A compression test is the true answer.If we could run the numbers we could find out if this saw has electronic ignition.Ken Sorry Ralph, but I have to disagree!

Olds Skool, It runs better when cold? Then runs like crazy HAve you checked the gas tank vent? It sounds to me as if it is not getting enough gas. That is why I suggest that you check the vent.How about putting in a new gas filter? Possibly a bent or kinked gas line to me. I cannot see putting another ignition system when it could be a 3$ gas filter. It sounds like fuel starvation from hear.When you say it has good compression, I will assume that this is when it is cold.When it gets hot, how does it feel?A compression test is the true answer.If we could run the numbers we could find out if this saw has electronic ignition.Ken Sorry Ralph, but I have to disagree!

begleytree said:
if all else is good and it acts like the carb, then yeah, best bet is the condenser.

fail to see how we are disagreeing.
-Ralph

OLD SKOOL If I may make a suggestion, that is to head to your nearest NAPA dealer and buy a spark tester. This simply plugs into the end of the coil wire and snaps onto the spark plug.If you will be hanging around this forum you may need it.This wil tell you if you have a spark anomoly or not.It has a neon light that you will be able to see in all but the brightest light.I have used mine on sleds,358 chevys, and yes even on saws.well worth the $$$.I have a suspicion that you may have a worn set of rings.As the engine is cold, it has good compression, but as it gets hot then the normal thermal expansion occurs and presto, a lean condition and the saw looses power and dies. I hope that I am wrong and Ralph is right.Ken

While I am the one usually reminding folks not to overlook the points
and cond., this one sure sounds fuel/air related.

The older Stihl's fuel filter foam insert starts breaking up after 15-20 years
and the remains collect in the carb screen like a pinch of snuff, but also
throghout the rest of the carb.
I would remove and disassemble the carb again, this time remove the
screen, and the needle/lever from the other side, then hold up the carb
to a light and visually inspect that passage, also blow out all of the other
small holes and passages, and reassemble.
Also inspect the fuel line, impulse, and intake boot. Also check the
fuel line for mushiness in the tank, as it could be soft and collapsing.

Back