029 points - really old saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kogafortwo

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a really ancient 029 and thinks he needs points for it. The biggest Stihl dealer in town told him they couldn't get them, and they usually have everything.

Any tips I can pass on to him for out of date parts?

I can get his serial number from him if that would help.

A buddy of mine has a really ancient 029 and thinks he needs points for it. The biggest Stihl dealer in town told him they couldn't get them, and they usually have everything.

I dont see anything but a soild state ignition????? no points shown in my IPL,,Could be but I dont see em,,, I show point s for the early 031 - 090'????

Last edited:
Oregon makes an electronic ignition module that will convert his old style points to a new electronic ignition. They're great, I bet I've used 50 of them over the years. All you do is pull the points and condensor out take both of the wires and hook them to the positive of the module and then ground the module. He'll never regret it. Oh, and it only costs about $12, usually cheaper than a new set of points for anything.

thanks

Thanks y'all. I will point him to this thread and let him figure out what to do from your answers. I personally have not torn into his saw so I can't tell you what's really up with it. Maybe the reason Drigger's doesn't carry his points is 'cause they don't exist? :biggrinbounce2:

Your "buddy" is probably over in another thread laughing his pants off.

Joat

Thanks y'all. I will point him to this thread and let him figure out what to do from your answers. I personally have not torn into his saw so I can't tell you what's really up with it. Maybe the reason Drigger's doesn't carry his points is 'cause they don't exist? :biggrinbounce2:

I can't believe the dealer wouldn't know and advise your buddy he doesn't have points on that model.

I concur with Joatmon, someone's got one over on ya.........:monkey:

I can't believe the dealer wouldn't know and advise your buddy he doesn't have points on that model.

I concur with Joatmon, someone's got one over on ya.........:monkey:

I think not! I really believe the man does not know what's in his saw, and maybe the shop told him they didn't have his points 'cause, well, they don't have points...

Latest posts

Back