031 stihl a question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an 031a stihl that I am trying to resurrect and when I take the fly wheel of the cam that opens and closes the points is attached to the fly wheel. My question is how do you set the points. The points do not look to good and I have been told points are not available for this saw. Is there an electronic unit that you can use and where would I find it and what would be the part #. I am retired and took a 12 hr. course at a local Jr. college on small engines last spring, but I have learned more by reading the threads than I did in the classes. Thanks for all the information. Any help would be appreciated. Tom

tomdcoker said:
I have an 031a stihl that I am trying to resurrect and when I take the fly wheel of the cam that opens and closes the points is attached to the fly wheel. My question is how do you set the points. The points do not look to good and I have been told points are not available for this saw. Is there an electronic unit that you can use and where would I find it and what would be the part #. I am retired and took a 12 hr. course at a local Jr. college on small engines last spring, but I have learned more by reading the threads than I did in the classes. Thanks for all the information. Any help would be appreciated. Tom
Hello Tom, I have an 031 with electronic ignition. Last two times I needed parts for my 031 (this year) they were either in stock or could be ordered from my Authorized Stihl dealer. Every so often when I go to the dealer for parts (or just to see what's on hand) some one is there with an 031, getting parts or tune up etc.

Try your dealer or buy a parts saw on Ebay. Electronic ignitions are out there...and:) mine works great.

You can still get ignition parts for you saw.. If you convert to electronic (either with a Stihgl modulem or one of the third party modules), you will need another flywheel (from an 031 electronic) or you need to reset the position of the existing flywheel by taking out the woodruff key and rotating it to the same position as the electronic version (it's very tricky to get right). If you don't the saw will run, but the muffler will glow red under full power, for a short while...

I asked for the ignition kit a couple of months ago, and they said it was nla, but the points/cond set was still available

You need a bushing that Stihl made to go on the crank to set the points or a spare cutaway flywheel. I have found that a brown Atom module with the wires reversed, says in the directions just for this saw, works without retiming the flywheel.

031a stihl question

Thanks for all the information. I am learning as I go on repairing chainsaws, but no one answered my question about setting the points. I would clean the points and try to reuse them, but I don't know how to set them since the cam came of on the flywheel. I hope I am Not doing anything wrong on replying to the threads. there was a box that said I could not reply to the thread. Thanks again Tom

031a sthil question

I now know why the box said that I could not post replys. I was not signed in. I told you I was new to this website and learning. Tom

It tells me that from time to time, they just are giving me a "time out".

But as always, I am innocent of any wrongdoing!

On most of the 031 flywheels there are two plastic pieces covering holes in the face. If you remove the screws and take out the plastic pieces, you can check the point gap through the holes. Once you have it right, then replace the plastic pieces and re-assemble. Another quick way is to measure the distance inside the flywheel hole to the widest part of the cam. You then get a piece of stock that is the same size, to fit into the space (between the crankshaft and point rubbing block) and adjust the point gap. Mike

Fish said:
I asked for the ignition kit a couple of months ago, and they said it was nla, but the points/cond set was still available

The 1118-400-1001 trigger unit still shows as available... If you use this, just pick up a used 031 Electronic flywheel (cheap). If the points look bad, the capacitor is probably shot. The capacitor is over $20 (I wouldn't get a used capacitor...) and the original is a PITA to get out - it's pressed in. I often just cut the wires off, leave it in place and mount the later "square" version on the bracket (make sure you order the bracket). Points and capacitor are more expensive than converting to electronic with the Stihl trigger module and a used flywheel.

031a stihl question

My saw had the plastic plugs. I cleaned the points and reset them and will print information about electronic conversion for later reference. Thanks a million for the help. Tom

Latest posts

Back