034 opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn good saw. My dad has cut all his firewood for to many years to recollect with an 034. The rubber boot between the carb and the jug will rot and cause an air leak, and ,like all stihls, the muffler bolts fall out. :cool2:

Got a chance to buy an 034, and it's one of the few stihls I've never run. Decent saw? What are they worth these days?

I inherited Dad's, and it has probably cut 100 cords of oak and conifers in it's 25 or so years of existence, never failed to start except when I forgot to open the choke after the first pop and flooded it, and once after sitting for 2 years. It needed a new fuel filter which set me back $4. [And, of course, when I was out of gas and was too dumb to realize it...]. Speaking of which, don't do like I used to do and run it until it's dry-I now understand saws go lean trying to suck up the last few drops of fuel and it's definitely hard on them.

While I'm at confession, I 'll say that I followed a cheap and dumb friend's advice for awhile [hey, I'm cheap, too-and dumb on some things...] and used outboard 2-stroke oil rather than quality OPE 2-cycle oil and also used motor oil for bar lube...probably the only reason my 034 is still alive today is that I used to mix the outboard oil at ~ 40:1 rather than 50:1.

Gone thru a couple of bars, one clutch, 1 rim sprocket and 4 or 5 chains, probably more due to operator ignorance and the poor quality bar lube than anything else-I used to run the chain too tight and had only the vaguest of notions about proper sharpening. I'm still pretty much a hack but at least my cuts don't meander like a drunk at closing time anymore and the cut ends aren't pre-charred due to friction..

A local 034 in really nice shape that I got to inspect sold on eBay a few months ago for ~ $275. I bought a running one for parts backup for $100, it needed a fuel line and crank seals and was painted kinda funky but runs good now.

Probably someone with more experience here will chime in with better info-I'm merely the voice of experience telling you what NOT to do...

I'm just now getting aquainted with my first 034. It seems to weigh just a hair more than my MS260 and it runs circles around it in the cut. Right now It has a 20" STIHL bar with .325 rsc chain and a 7 pin drive sprocket. I'm hoping that it has enough power to pull an 8 pin .325, cutting Fir.
If I need to cut any Cotton wood, I'll switch to my 20" 3/8 pitch bar and full skip chain.

I'd like to get another saw like this.

A week ago someone was selling an 036 and an 034 on ebuy with new bar and oil and chain almost new, $600 each. The 034 was gone after a couple days. The 036 is still there, no takers.

Mine was a basket case, FREE!

The price of a saw is going to vary depending on condition, the area you are in, and the desire of the seller and buyer to get together on the price (make sense?). In our area a good condition 034 would be worth about $200.00. I had one in my hands today that belongs to a friend. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel line and filter and am surprised at how well it runs. I've owned a few 036's and an 036 pro but would not hesitate to purchase one of these saws. I'd say the power to weight ratio in my hands was quite appealing. That being said the buyer always looks to get the most bang for his buck -- so talk the price and make the best deal you can. I'd surely enjoy one of these saws myself. Happy Sawing!

Their are a lot of good stories that can be told about that saw. Its one of Stihl's best saw ever made. I know an older guy that has an 034 super and cuts everything with it but what its meant for. Without knowing its condition; $250.-$300. However better deals than that can be done.

I have an 034, sounds like about or less the condition of the 1 described, my opinion, 1 of the most consistent tough as nails model made. I've run various ones on different jobs, knowed their history and their high points easily snuff out their minor low points, Never had a problem with their muffler bolts vibrating out. 041 is about the only stihl model thats happened to me repeatedly. Most of my jobs its the 034- 044's that I use the most. 034 is a verstile back up saw to that doesn't take up big space in your toolbox. It will cut through bigger stuff not far behind an 044 but handle closer to an 026 for smaller saw demands. I'd say in the condition described $250 to $300 depending on the bar and chain is what their worth to some one that needs a bread and butter saw and doesn't have time to shop for bargains.

Oh ya your going to the "you suck" list he he he.

I picked up my wounded 034 almost 20 years ago and then modded it heavily and been running E free premium and Opti 2 oil through it and it's Stihl going.

Back