038 magnum 2 oil pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJordan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
this thing leaks b/c oil pretty badly. I've asked a few questions on here about it and have gotten a lot of great advice and help, so now I have another question.

How do I remove the oil pump?
I had everything torn apart, I pulled the three screws holding the pump on, but this thing wouldn't budge. Which I didn't use much force. Although it does look like the oiler adjuster screw on the bottom of the pump is hitting against the chainsaw housing.
When I say I removed everything I pulled the side cover off, the stainless cover that goes over the two bar bolts, then removed five bolts to remove the side cover that is between the sprocket and the oil pump.

I'm still not for sure what I'm looking for or what I'll do once I remove the oil pump, so I really hope something jumps out at me lol.
One thing I've noticed so far is the gear coming off the oil pump shaft has a good bit of in and out play. Meaning you can push it in and pull it out 3/8"-1/2" is this normal?

I appreciate any and all help

IMG_0841.JPG Well I got the pump off just took a little prying with a screwdriver, the gasket had it stuck pretty good.
I still can't tell that anything is wrong with the pump, and still can't really tell where this thing is leaking from, but I'll definitely need a new gasket before I can go any further.
I've read several different post about oiling issues with the 38's.
Seems like what I was reading mostly said the oil is supposed to come out of the oiler gear hole and maybe so. I took a picture of where this one is dumping oil and maybe one of y'all can tell me if this is right or not, and if not maybe point me in the right direction.
The slot where the blade of the screwdriver is sitting is where oil is coming out of while the saw is running. Is that right?

Latest posts

Back