038 magnum carb info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
At some point someone swapped a chicom carb on this saw and it’s not behaving. It’s flooding, won’t respond to adjustments, the metering lever is plastic, not adjustable. What a POS. Also no part number/manufacturer. Just need the carb info for an 038 Magnum32BD1044-3566-4B41-8339-48AF06229045.jpeg9ADE19C5-22F8-4B7A-96EE-F796F297311F.jpeg

Yeah, the Bings were pretty good about rebuilding, except the carb kit cost $55 in 2003.

I had actually contacted Bing to try to get a better price on a larger quantity, hell, they were higher than Stihl's price!!

I think Duke's has a Bing copy for sale. I can't say how good or bad it is, but I have one of their WT194 copies that has run good for the few months I have been using it.

The BING inlet lever height is adjustable. If too high, use a small punch from the screen side with small taps. If too low, find a punch that fits the outside diameter of the seat and tap in. Pretty common repair on a BING. I prefer the BING on an 038 for reliability.

You can still get Zama for 038 from stihl
may have to get fuel pump cover from c3 or order it too as it comes with compensator cover

Are there no 381 parts available in the US? The 381 carb and air filter works fine. Better, IMO, than the admittedly well used Bing that was on the 038 MAG when I got it. The OEM Bing 48 kits seemed to be pretty well NLA over here when I looked around a few years ago

I told my buddies at the shop to get me the best chicom carb he could find. Kinda like the tallest midget. I’ll try it, if it sucks too I’ll look for an old tillotston or bing. Might have a Tilly in the carb box.

I bought a Bing from them, it was a good, clean used carb. All of the parts I have bought from them have been as good as or better than described.
I’ve bought quite a bit from them as well. Always been very nice usable parts. I’m like 75 miles away from their shop so anything I buy shows up in a day or two.

Back