038 Super Rebuild Bing pr replace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me there might be a Zama replacement.

Likely the cover with the compensator would need to be removed and a regular plate put over the diaphragm side of the carb.

Just take it apart and clean it and reassemble, and see what happens.....

Been through it twice, even let it soak overnight. Borrowed the carb off my Magnum, also a Bing 48, worked pretty good. This saw will be awesome when I get this fixed.

I'd rebuild it. The Bing 48 is one of my favorites. Very simple carb, reliable, strong.

Why are the kits so expensive? Are there aftermarkets available?

im digging out my old saws to prepare to sell them.my 038 super just quit one day.i pour fuel down she'll fire up and burn that out but that's it.
i ordered a new replacement carb from baileys........we'll see what happens i guess.kinda miss that saw.always contemplated doing the magnum conversion,but no real use anymore for these old heavy saws,as much as i like 'em.id like to end up with a more modern 390xp more.

Last edited:
You can get a kit on ebay for like $10 or replace it with a tilly for $40.

Just take it apart and clean it and reassemble, and see what happens.....

I agree with Fish.

I've had a slew of Tillistons and Bings apart and 95% of them could go back together with same parts, as long as they did not get buggered up taking things apart.

P.S these are old carbs that never had corn fuel ran in them, my runners now use 100LL

That is only a partial kit. Only complete kit I find is from Bing at over $40.

You should be fine just putting in new gaskets and a good cleaning on the other parts. Don't waste your money on the complete kit.

I agree with Fish.

I've had a slew of Tillistons and Bings apart and 95% of them could go back together with same parts, as long as they did not get buggered up taking things apart.

P.S these are old carbs that never had corn fuel ran in them, my runners now use 100LL

When you went to 100 LL what if any Carb adjustment did you have to make? I have 12 or so Partners and should do somthing like that too i think.Thanks Jeff

You should be fine just putting in new gaskets and a good cleaning on the other parts. Don't waste your money on the complete kit.

Got a gasket set ordered, went with the 5 piece kit that has the half round gasket for $10. free shipping, thanks for the advice.

I agree with Fish.

Got a small airport next door. They used to sell 80 and 100. We used to mix them 50/50 for 90 in our dirt bikes. I think I will see if they still sell to the public. Can I assume that is ethanol free?

Got a small airport next door. They used to sell 80 and 100. We used to mix them 50/50 for 90 in our dirt bikes. I think I will see if they still sell to the public. Can I assume that is ethanol free?

I'm pretty sure all avgas has to be ethanol free by law.

When you went to 100 LL what if any Carb adjustment did you have to make? I have 12 or so Partners and should do somthing like that too i think.Thanks Jeff

Some needed to be leaned out a bit, more so on the low (036, 038M, 066)

Some have ran fine with no changes (028S, 020T, 056M, Br 400 blower, husky weedwacker)

My 038S to 038M conversions always ran on 100LL. With opened up dual port mufflers, both the Tilly and Bings were close to 1 1/4 out. I'm running the saws between 500-2500' elev.

My 026 saws were also used/rebuilt so retuned as a matter of course with 100LL mix.

ALWAYS check things when changing carbs or mixes. Make a note of initial settings so you can quickly re-tune if you have to go back to previous mix, and record new settings.

Last edited:
Back