038 Super Rebuild Bing pr replace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be fine just putting in new gaskets and a good cleaning on the other parts. Don't waste your money on the complete kit.

Got new gasket set. Still have same problem. Erratic idle speed. Seems ok on acceleration and sounds good in the cut.

True...

Yep, that points you back to the carb, but a persistent erratic idle that won't respond to tuning changes hints at an air leak, possibly. If you can do a pressure/vacuum test, you can rule out problems with the intake boot or impulse hose, for instance.

Yep, that points you back to the carb, but a persistent erratic idle that won't respond to tuning changes hints at an air leak, possibly. If you can do a pressure/vacuum test, you can rule out problems with the intake boot or impulse hose, for instance.

I do not have pressure/ vacuum equipment. I did make a couple of gaskets, one to block carb and one to block exhaust. I used a long piece of tube and blew into impulse fitting on the cylinder. I sprayed dish soap/ water mix all over and the only leak was at exhaust gasket. Impulse line is new, intake boot looked pretty decent.

Sounds like you eliminated that possibility

I'd feel comfortable crossing the air leak off the list at this point too. Good luck with it. If the kit didn't fix it, I might just punt and change the carburetor.

It does sound like an air leak somewhere. Did you fully disassemble the carb and spray carb cleaner in all the Orafices or just put in new gaskets? Does this carb do the same thing on your magnum? Did you seal up that exhaust leak and test again? Did you test the seals?

Last edited:
It does sound like an air leak somewhere. Did you fully disassemble the carb and spray carb cleaner in all the Orafices or just put in new gaskets? Does this carb do the same thing on your magnum? Did you seal up that exhaust leak and test again? Did you test the seals?

I agree, it does sound like a leak. I did disassemble and spray the carb. Even soaked it in gas overnight. Magnum carb works good on the Super, Super carb is bad on both saws. Maybe I will take the carb apart one more time. On a side note, I put new rings in my Magnum, used Hondabond in place of the gasket. It is at 170 lbs comp and I did a little work on the muffler. This was about three months ago. Wow, what a difference. That saw rocks.

Just noticed

Take a look at this picture, this is after I removed the carb that is not working right. Notice the mark against the intake boot. Where the cover on the carb meets the carb body. Looks like the parting line is intersecting the impulse opening. That can't be right. Maybe that is what is wrong?

038 stihl :: 100_0635.jpg picture by sgilbert9226 - Photobucket

i seem to be having your luck.new replacement carb from baileys didn't fix my 038 super.:(
still only runs on the gas i pour in the carb.....darnit.60 bucks down the drain.

I feel your pain, hope you get it running. 038 Super or Mag are nice saws.

i seem to be having your luck.new replacement carb from baileys didn't fix my 038 super.:(
still only runs on the gas i pour in the carb.....darnit.60 bucks down the drain.

New carb that will only run on a prime, you must have an impulse problem somewhere. It's not pumping fuel.

Back