Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can you be so sure it is overheating? Are all the plastic covers on? Is the fan missing fins? Tach it out to about 13 k with the H jet .
20160611_155536.jpg
This is the factory plastic. I've put aftermarket plastic on it. I doubt this is the norm... Fan has all fins in tact

Might be irrelevant but is the piston and cylinder standard stihl?

Also if it's apart, PLEASE take several piccies of the piston and the inside of the cylinder and post them. With them I'm sure Lone Wolf (or even me!) will very quickly be able to tell you if there are signs of overheating damage.

is this piece of casting on the intake of the port of normal... not sure how it would effect the engine temp but doesn't seem right.... View attachment 507719
That's just a cutaway in order for the plug socket to access the plug.

I couldnt help but notice the saw looks real bare at the airfilter end when you were cutting. Have you actually got a filter - I could just see the filter base? You really want some filtration - all that dust, and a hungry engine!

Furthermore changing the filter arrangement will require subtle H screw adjustments - a 2-stroke is very sensitive to slight airflow changes.

Also is it possible that the plastic was fitted badly and that's why it burnt? And that's why it feels like it's overheating? A two stroke engine will run very hot, it (obviously) fires once every 2 to 4 strokes. I remember all my motorbikes - just how hot the fins would get!

If we can't see any heat damage in the engine, and it's tuned ok, and if it still idles real nice after a bit of cutting then it's probably alright. But please sort the filter out.

Try this.....Check that the plug is correct, check that your muffler isn't blocked, or better yet, gut the muffler and try running a tank of 32:1 through it, tuned so the saw IS four stroking out of the cut.

Ok so I've now replaced the spark plug, mixed the fuel 32:1 with 92 oct gas, ordered a new muffler and exhaust gasket, lined the inside of the new plastic with foil tape (will also be doing above oil tank as recommended). Ive tuned the carb as well as i can by ear, but as soon as I get my hands on a tachometer I will be tuning the high side to 13500rpm.

Ozhoo may be right and this just may be due to the age and past use of the saw... I really appreciate all the help so far guys!

Ok so I've now replaced the spark plug, mixed the fuel 32:1 with 92 oct gas, ordered a new muffler and exhaust gasket, lined the inside of the new plastic with foil tape (will also be doing above oil tank as recommended). Ive tuned the carb as well as i can by ear, but as soon as I get my hands on a tachometer I will be tuning the high side to 13500rpm.

Ozhoo may be right and this just may be due to the age and past use of the saw... I really appreciate all the help so far guys!
Tune it a tad lower. Why new muffler?

32 to one will make it run leaner. more oil = less gas! Try 40 to 1

Why don't you post piccies of current piston and cylinder then someone will be able to tell if it really was dangerously overheating?

What about checking the spark screen and muffler mod?

Partially clogged/carboned up screen can cause overheating with proper carb settings

Latest posts

Back