044 identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kensie1988

Vintage Saw Maniac
Reaction score
I just got an 044 for $60 and I need help identifying if it's the 10mm or 12mm version, I've read a bunch of thread and feel like I might known but I would like a more expert opinion, I attached some pics below, I think the piston may be a little scored on the skirt even though the compression is really good, not sure though still trying to clean it up so I can pull the jug.
IMG_8126.JPG IMG_8127.JPG

Piston
IMG_8125.JPG

That's kinda what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure, why does mine have a 1 after the "X" and before the "2"

In the past year I have removed the jug on 13 044s. IME, the angled fins don't tell a whole lot because I have found nearly equal numbers of 10 and 12mm pins under an angled fin cylinder. I have found one post-X29382283 serial with a 10mm. For the most part I have found the pre- X29583701 serials to all be 10mm.

None of this takes into account the saws history of which nothing is ever known. 10mm cranks can be swapped into 12mm crankcases and vice versa. A lot can happen at saw shops that supply and service logging companies to keep their saws running.

My parting wisdom is this: Pull the jug. It is the only way to know.

I just got an 044 for $60 and I need help identifying if it's the 10mm or 12mm version, I've read a bunch of thread and feel like I might known but I would like a more expert opinion, I attached some pics below, I think the piston may be a little scored on the skirt even though the compression is really good, not sure though still trying to clean it up so I can pull the jug.
View attachment 601402 View attachment 601403

Piston
View attachment 601404
$60 damn that's a deal of a lifetime

For those wondering

Early 10mm 044 had KS slant fin cylinders with good shapes and timing numbers

Next were 10mm Mahle slant fin cylinders with good shapes and numbers

Next were 12mm with the EXACT SAME Mahle slant fin cylinders with good shapes and numbers.

Then came the 12mm straight fin late 044/non decomp 440 cylinder. These have visibly more rounded ports and aren’t as sporty as earlier models

Then the decomp 440 cylinder

For those wondering

Early 10mm 044 had KS slant fin cylinders with good shapes and timing numbers

Next were 10mm Mahle slant fin cylinders with good shapes and numbers

Next were 12mm with the EXACT SAME Mahle slant fin cylinders with good shapes and numbers.

Then came the 12mm straight fin late 044/non decomp 440 cylinder. These have visibly more rounded ports and aren’t as sporty as earlier models

Then the decomp 440 cylinder
034, 034S, 036, 360 and 360P went through about the same progression. The terrible intake port is on the 360P and larger combustion chamber although they did a better job of softening it. 034 and 034S were about the sportier ones. 036 no decomp isn't far from those with larger ports overall. That was where the changes came in on the ones I've seen
The KS seems about as good as the Mahle in 46mm. Both had great direction and nice port shapes.

034, 034S, 036, 360 and 360P went through about the same progression. The terrible intake port is on the 360P and larger combustion chamber although they did a better job of softening it. 034 and 034S were about the sportier ones. 036 no decomp isn't far from those with larger ports overall. That was where the changes came in on the ones I've seen
The KS seems about as good as the Mahle in 46mm. Both had great direction and nice port shapes.
The only one in that bunch that stood out to me is the Super. The others all have rounded exhaust roofs

The only one in that bunch that stood out to me is the Super. The others all have rounded exhaust roofs
Oh it is definitely almost flat up there.
The transfer ports are better shapes and direction on the earliest offerings. The 360P is just a pig. I'll get a chance to compare all of them soon by measuring the volume and port areas. Timing was interesting on the 034 verses the 034S.

Latest posts

Back