044 total recall moment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I spent most of today rebuilding my 044 that I bought spares/repairs about a year ago.

Piston and cylinder were both trashed, so I had to opt for one of those Huztl sets off ebay. Not the greatest quality, but this is a saw I'm keeping, so I figured, I'll try one of these sets just to see how it goes.

After reading others' comments I decided to ditch the supplied piston rings, and realised that the 044 shares the same rings as the Stihl TS410 concrete cutters that I work on quite a bit, so having a new OEM P&C for a 410 handy and not immediately needing it for anything, I pinched the rings out of it so my 044 is sporting a Huztl aftermarket piston with OEM Stihl rings in it.

Not forgetting that the general consensus is to also ditch the piston clips in these sets, I also fitted the loose OEM clip off the old piston and set about the rebuild. I tried to remove the other clip from the old piston, but really wasn't having any luck, so I gave up and decided to go with one of the ones from the new kit.

So I've just about finished the saw up this evening, but due to the lateness of the hour, I was content to just fit the pair of big dawgs I happened to have knocking about.

I'm sat here with that sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that you get after a rebuild (when you don't do too many) Looking at my completed saw and thinking about firing it up tomorrow to see if this Huztl stuff is going to be any good and then it hit me.... I never did fit that other piston clip :cry:

This was my first rebuild of an 044, I just didn't realise how soon my next one was going to be.:(

Can you rat the p&c kit for new clips?
A clip walking out equals a bad day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 19
If that STIHL clip fit loose, get it out and fix it!!! They bend together when installing. They have to fit tight.

No, when I say loose, I mean the one I had removed when I took the old piston out. It fitted just fine in the new piston. It's the one I forgot to fit that is the problem.

Just be thankful you didn't find out after you trashed it.

Yeah, exactly right, that's why I'm being philosophical rather than beating myself up about it. I thought I'd share my embarrassment just because of how it suddenly came to me.

Can you rat the p&c kit for new clips?
A clip walking out equals a bad day.

Ouch, was that in a new rebuild?

I suppose I could have taken them out of the 410 kit too, but I was just focused on using the proper rings at the time. I must have plenty of other used OEM rings knocking about the place so I'll still try to use Stihl before I used the Huztl ones.

I've used the Hutzl rings I've received with kits and had no issues with them. Put em in a concrete saw, that'll test 'em good! Those things have a hard life.

Ouch, was that in a new rebuild?

I suppose I could have taken them out of the 410 kit too, but I was just focused on using the proper rings at the time. I must have plenty of other used OEM rings knocking about the place so I'll still try to use Stihl before I used the Huztl ones.

That was in a low hours, nearly new, standard saw. Sigh.....
It's a husky 562 - but without turning this into a husky vs stihl thread I just wanted to point out that it's an area I wouldn't cut any corners on. I don't have the experience to comment much - but I'm not a big fan of the husky type clips that have "bent ears" for want of the proper term. I'm not familiar with stihl clip types.
I believe some of the builders have talked in depth about this at different times - so perhaps a search is in order. Certainly the advice of guys who have seen hundreds of dead saws is of benefit over a guy like me who has seen a handful.

Latest posts

Back