044 vs MS440 Cranks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensen 32000

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Are the cranks from an 044 and an MS 440 interchangeable? Also on my last thread on pistons, Stihltech mentioned something about the piston ring pins moved outboard? Can anybody elaborate on either? Thank You Mike

cranks and pistons and rods, OH MY

the cranks will interchange as long as the top rod bearing journals are the same size.
The pins. The piston ring locating pins are moved farther apart on the 440 piston. You will be able to use the new piston in new or old cylinders.
The problem comes when you put an old piston in a new (440) cylinder. The pin will be exposed. I do not forsee those pins coming out, but the end of the ring will be exposed in the inkake. Could break the ring and trash the cylinder.
I wonder if you can open up the intake more with the new piston? Ed will know.

Mike- that's pretty typical damage from a connecting rod bearing coming apart. Stihltech is right about the pistons, you can't use an old piston in a new cylinder but you port the crap of your old cylinder if using a new piston. The only difference on the cranks is the early style 044 crank that used the 10mm wrist pin. Stay away from, they have a habit of popping out the wrist pin clips under a load and wiping out the top end. A regular 044 crank ( 12mm wrist pin ) is the same as an MS-440 crank or an 044 Magnum crank.

Back