048 Super project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkranger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I received a nice 048 Super from another member(not sure if he want's to be outed, so I'll let him pipe in if he wants), that needs some TLC. The saw is in very nice shape overall but only major flaw is a break on the tank housing where the upper rear AV mount is. I tore into it initially to assess needs, will get into a thorough cleaning next. P & C, crank and major components are in very good condition..................other than years of accumulated crud.

I used one of these years ago and really liked the way it cut, so I'm hoping this will revive some old feelings............................:chainsaw:

Here are couple of pics where the break is. This tank/rear handle assembly is actually two parts, the fuel/oil tank is split vertically and break is on the outter portion. So I'm wondering if there is some way to split them after removing the three screws. Anyone ever done this? Lake or anyone else? I do have reason for this (see next post).

One more...........

Here are some pics of my "doner" saw. Local guy had one stashed in the barn. A really ratty 048AVE, has most of what I need. It's a complete powerhead minus the muffler. Now the meat of my previous question regarding splitting the tank. This rear handle assembly is OK, the tank portion, including AV area are good but the handle area has several cracks in flat bottom area(where one might place their foot) and there's a chip out of the back. I've thougth about fixing the cracked area with a bsnelling/Lakeside style JB Weld type fix but thought if I could scavange the good tank half and graft it to my better handle it would be golden. Just not sure it's easily possible to split one of these things. There are three screws, but seems like there should be more so whatever Stihl used to seal it up is probably pretty tough.

It doesn't look all that bad... I've started with worse!

Yeah, it really isn't THAT aweful after you get past all the pidgeon crap. Almost hate to gut 'er. I was quite surprised when the gentleman placed 'er on the counter, was expecting something alot less "there". From a precursory look-over it would need a couple AV mounts, muffler and ignition work(from service tag). It might almost be worth it's own work up??

Might be off base, usually am, but

Why don't you do the Laker/b JB weld on one and dishwasher both. What I am stumbling around to say is FIX BOTH.

OK,since I have never seen an 048 super, what is the difference? Displacement?

Crap, if you don't know..............................................

Maybe someone else? Worse comes to worse I can measure the P/Cs and compare the Super to AVE that I have. I only see reference to 52mm bore, so???

You're not off base...........

Why don't you do the Laker/b JB weld on one and dishwasher both. What I am stumbling around to say is FIX BOTH.

That is definitely a consideration..............................

............depending on what I find when I do some dis-assembly on the doner AVE.:monkey:

..And then you'll need a third for parts...

and so it starts....

Watcha got???? Fess up Lake. LOL

You are so right there.:givebeer:

Do you have an answer to Stihltech's question? (re: 048AVE vs. Super)

Alright after reassessing the 048s I decided to fix the broken case piece on the good one. Other than that one break it's just so much better than the carcass saw. After really looking at how the AV mount is supposed to work this "ear" on the air box really shouldn't be taking any lateral forces. I discovered the reason for the break to begin with is that the saw was run for quite some time with the AV mount screw loose, allowing isolating buffer to ride into the ear and the screw to put lateral force on it as well. I am going to attempt to JB Weld it and move on. Below are pics of the prepped pieces to be fixed. Will post results..................

Also got started on stripping and cleaning the P/C, recoil and other stuff. The P/C look awesome, other than she was run a tad rich. Either this saw has low hours or someone swapped them out at some point.

Last edited:
I bought an 048 last week that looks almost new. Will have to post up pics when I get home. I even got a parts saw with it that has a good p/c and good coil. the parts saw's tank is JB welded together, though...lol

Hope you got good filters, cause they are pricey!

I bought an 048 last week that looks almost new. Will have to post up pics when I get home. I even got a parts saw with it that has a good p/c and good coil. the parts saw's tank is JB welded together, though...lol

Hope you got good filters, cause they are pricey!

The good one has a good filter, just needs a little cleaning. The carcass saw's is marginal, but good enough to give that one a spin when I get this one done.

Good pick up on your 48s. These really are good saws, been years since I ran one. A guy I used to climb for years ago tried to use one for a wheel chock with his PU, backed right up the rear handle all the way to the top handle before he stopped. It would still run after that.....:monkey: I ended up repairing it for him after scavenging parts from a dealer I know that has apple crates full of saws. The first major tear down I ever did, good learning experience. It was still cutting wood dailey when I went on to other things 15 years ago.:chainsaw:

does yours have the chain brake? or the dummy handle?

My good one has the brake, but the parts has the dummy handle.

I heard these were available with the engine declutching chain brake, but I haven't seen one. (chain is disengage while brake it on, engine will rev up if you gas it)

does yours have the chain brake? or the dummy handle?

My good one has the brake, but the parts has the dummy handle.

I heard these were available with the engine declutching chain brake, but I haven't seen one. (chain is disengage while brake it on, engine will rev up if you gas it)

Both have brakes but the AVE(carcass) is missing the hand guard. I did not know the 048 had an isolating clutch available. First one of those I actually saw was on an 031 I acquired last fall.................................

...................ended up swapping it out for a conventional clutch though. It was missing a spring to make it work and the dealer threw in a regular carrier with the shoes that I needed. I'd like to find a conventional band brake to make the conversion complete. Those Isolation Clutches look like a real PITA to get working properly and from the wear patterns on the parts on that 031 it is not a smooth system.......................

Last edited:
so is your good one a super? I've searched High and Low and cannot find the super listed anywhere!!!!!!!! Even had a dealer check out the books. Took a while to find a dealer that even had a book on them..lol

so is your good one a super? I've searched High and Low and cannot find the super listed anywhere!!!!!!!! Even had a dealer check out the books. Took a while to find a dealer that even had a book on them..lol

Yeah, the good one is a Super, for whatever that means. Stihltech asked what the difference was earlier..................................

.......................I have no clue. I can't remember if that one I used 15 years ago was a Super or just an AVE. I find no other reference other than 52mm bore but then again I do not have a Service Manual either. I do not believe these were made for too many years, stop gap saw the disappeared rather quickly I think.

Last edited:
measure the bore through the exhaust port. I'm wondering if it isn't just a rare badge.....

If it isn't 52mm, I want to know!

Back