048 Super project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up cleaning most of the rest of the other parts. Cylinder is in really nice shape. Took a while to break down the carbon on the top of the cylinder, tried purple, didn't really put a dent in it. Went to carb cleaner, let it soak awhile and attacked it with the Dremel and nylon tipped brush.............NICE. Exhaust port was pretty snotty too, went with the carb cleaner again with scotch pad on a pair of forecepts. That went quicker.

Now I just have to wait on a few parts...........................

good to see it got loved

wil
great save she almost ended up a door stop:cheers: you may want to put a couple of fine rods in the break for extra strength kind of like rybar in concrete:givebeer: wil be digging around my shop for any extra bits i may have getting rid extra bars and such i think i have a found some exta pieces to her will ship out friday w/other stuff:clap:

wil
great save she almost ended up a door stop:cheers: you may want to put a couple of fine rods in the break for extra strength kind of like rybar in concrete:givebeer: wil be digging around my shop for any extra bits i may have getting rid extra bars and such i think i have a found some exta pieces to her will ship out friday w/other stuff:clap:

Yeah, I puzzled about how I could re-enforce that fix, like screws as Brad had done on one of his fixes but limited space is a problem. Have to leave enough room for AV buffer movement, if it bumps into that piece it'll likely just break again. I did find some thin mesh to use (should have got pics of that :cry: )and if the screw is lock tited in there it should be fine. When properly mounted that ear on the case should not be taking any force from the screw or buffer. We'll see how it goes, will probably use this tank for the next project(AVE former doner, thread may be longer than anticipated) as I've got a new tank coming............

.................Thanks Kevlar!!:clap:

Thanks for the project, can't wait to sink 'er into some wood.:chainsaw:

Hey Lake.........

Lake if you pop back in here again......

What are those two small holes in the carb box for, to the right of fuel tank vent (pic #2 post 35) or (pic in post #39)? They appear to be factory as they have original paint in them. Looks like something would mount there?? Or are they just breathers for the air box?

Lookin' good. Hope the JB holds up for you. I've yet to put the test to my 066 spike mount fix.

Thanks man, some your work was my inspiration. I think it'll work out fine, like I said before, just too nice of a tank to trash.

Parts.............

............received some new/old parts the other day from B.C.(thanks kevlar). A nice unused tank/rear handle assembly, new crankcase w/bearings & seals, a really nice lightly used recoil assembly(with the dual pawl pulley++), new muffler, decent airfilter and bunch of little stuff. This new tank will go in the Super project and I'll save my fixed one for the upcoming AVE later. At this point I have everything I need save two annular buffers for the tank. I tried briefly to steal the two good ones out of the old tank in my haste to get this puppy running, but don't think it's possible w/o distorying them. So it's off to the dealer(I have a couple other things on the wish list anyways).

I did get a little work done tonight setting up the new tank, putting in new fuel line, studs for carb, oil line, tab for kill switch, etc. Tore down, cleaned up and replaced the brake assembly. Looks like this saw ate some nylon at one point, possibly an oiler gear? Had to remove that baked on crap to ensure proper brake operation. At least the clutch bell is new. Also set air gap on coil and bunch of little stuff to prepare for reassembly.

Of course the most important tool for saw rebuilding.........................

...........(Black Heart Stout-Middle Ages Brewery):cheers:

Oh boy. That looks like Christmas in February! Careful with your wallet. Looks like it may have a big hole in it like mine after that NOS 084:dizzy:

LOL, but it only hurts for a little while....:givebeer:

Besides I may get two saws out of this project when done.:clap: Haven't done anything with the AVE yet, other than scavenge a few parts, but have no reason to believe it will not run with a little TLC.

On a side note, I may be adding a new tool to my shop. My mother is looking to remove a working dishwasher from her kitchen for more storage space, so looks like I get a dedicated parts washer......................:clap:

Please do a little measuring in their, bore size, stroke. Still would like to know what makes it a super.

It may be the muffler, like an 038 Super Pro.

Will do. This Super is definitely 52mm bore. What's the easiest way to get stroke for a shadetree saw mechanic? (I'm sure it's probably easy, but it's early and I haven't finished my first coffee yet....)

Have not removed the cylinder from the AVE yet, but will do soon.

If they had different strokes shouldn't it show up in the IPL with different cylinders and connecting rods? Whatever I find I will post here for sure, I wanna know too.

racing stripes

Checked out the IPL today. The only super part I can find is the tag on top of the saw. Maybe porting, but there is no other number for the cylinder, piston, crank or muffler.

Checked out the IPL today. The only super part I can find is the tag on top of the saw. Maybe porting, but there is no other number for the cylinder, piston, crank or muffler.

Your IPL doesn't show two different mufflers? That's the only difference I could find.

Didnt' see another muffler. My fiche is the last one for the saw, might be in an older one.

Check out post #27 & 31. Does your IPL show image that's in 27?

Maybe the Super is just a DP muffler and like Lake said, Marketing..........

.....................or it could just be marketing and no real difference. Either way, SUPER just sounds better, don't ya think. ;) I find it amusing the more you dig into these older saws' heritage the little differences in naming and such.

I will have more time for the project this week, maybe I'll take a few minutes to tear the jug off the AVE and do some measurements. Also look to see if the ports look any different, but I suspect it'll be substantially the same though.

I'm short two annular buffers for that new tank, get those and I'm ready to start putting the Super back together for a test run.:cheers:

Last edited:
Here is a pic or two of my 048....all original. No bodywork on mine. Just had to fix the kill switch wire.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice...........

That's one nice specimen Steve, let me know how you like 'er after you rip into some wood. I remember really liking this model, but only saw/ran one over 15 years ago.

I hope to get mine back together with the new parts soon, she'll be even prettier than yours..........:hmm3grin2orange:

:clap: :cheers:

Back