048 Super project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok interesting...i never knew an 048 super existed either. I always thought the 042/048 family of saws were a little unique looking. I know cbfarmall on this site has an 042 or 048 and he might be fairly familiar with that family.

measure the bore through the exhaust port. I'm wondering if it isn't just a rare badge.....

If it isn't 52mm, I want to know!

2.038" on my calipers........................which coverted to 51.77mm.

From the inside of piston; Mahle R031 52L68

Last edited:
2.038" on my calipers........................which coverted to 51.77mm.

From the inside of piston; Mahle R031 52L68
Maybe they just came out with a super to be consistent with the other saws from roughly the same era that ended in 8 lol. The 028 and 038 both had a super. Someone once told me that stihl experimented with a different cylinder manufacturer or a different cylinder coating on either the 042 or 048. I'm not sure how factual this is, but someone told me this a long time ago.

cool, thanks. I'll have to wait until I get unstuck out of minnesota before I can check mine out......Was supposed to have been home by now....lol.

I'll check the AVE too..................................but I suspect it's probably 52mm.

Maybe the Super designation is just a later-model 048. It does have a DP muffler, maybe that's a difference?

I'll check the AVE too..................................but I suspect it's probably 52mm.

Maybe the Super designation is just a later-model 048. It does have a DP muffler, maybe that's a difference?

I was over at a dealer up here in MN and looked in his book today. There was a super designation for the metal tags, but looking at the parts, I cannot find a difference. Maybe lake can check into it more, but everything I looked at was the same as the regular AVE quickstop. p/c is the same, coil is the same, carb, etc.

Only thing I can think of is possbly the muffler. There wasn't a dual port or anything like that, but maybe the super had a bigger hole. I know mine is huge and can't imagine it being any less restrictive.....lol. I didn't see a difference in part numbers....so

It may just have been a later model designation????????????????????

Last edited:
There does appear to be two different mufflers. The one I have is definitely a dual port(on right in attachment). There is a big outlet on the front of the muffler and a second on the upper left.

There does appear to be two different mufflers. The one I have is definitely a dual port(on right in attachment). There is a big outlet on the front of the muffler and a second on the upper left.

Now you got me confused. His book only had one muffler in it..

The 042 muffler will interchange, but it is a lot more restrictive and a LOT quieter....

He was saying that most guys that had 048's usually put the 042 mufflers on them to quiet them down. he said he had never seen an 048 super, and he had 4-5 048 parts saws and a 4-5 042's.

All the mufflers on the 048's he had looked the same, but most of the plastic was missing on them. I'll have to check them out tomorrow if he is open.

OK, went down to the shop to snap an actual pic of the muffler.

?????

That looks like the 042 muffler, but i don't remember if the 042 had the side scoop too.....

Thanks, you have me wondering now...lol

Steve, here's what the inside, back half looks like. I have one complete muffler and one half missing front. Interesting duct work in there...........

Here are couple of pics of my JB fix on that broken tank piece. I have new tank assembly coming soon I hope, so this will likely be kept for possible use with the AVE(doner) which has probably become project #2. This tank is too nice to trash save the one break. Hopefully this fix will hold up, seems sturdy enough...... Have yet to clean up the JB with the Dremel to smooth it out a bit.

forgot to tell ya sending muffler and new rewind too!

You're the MAN!! :rockn: :rock:

You get some rep... (seem to have bullets today)

I can't wait to get this thing all back together......

More JB work............

I know it's redneck fabrication, but it really is a nice tank assembly. One of the tabs that locate the master control lever was broken off, it still worked but was a tad sloppy and I had a little left over JB, so................

good work!

Thanks man, means alot coming from you. Especially since you and Brad were my inspiration for trying to save this tank.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

May even do a little paint work to pretty 'er up like, and I'm going to steal your paint box idea too........................:biggrinbounce2:

Thanks man, means alot coming from you. Especially since you and Brad were my inspiration for trying to save this tank.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

May even do a little paint work to pretty 'er up like, and I'm going to steal your paint box idea too........................:biggrinbounce2:
I have an 038 tank that could use a similar JB weld job done to it if anybody wanted cheap ;).

Here's how that tab for the master control lever came out. Not too shabby.........lever works like a charm now.

Back