05/06 sc252 belt and bearing help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjudikic

Reaction score
Hi, I have a vermeer sc252 manufactured in nov. 05, I wanted to know if anyone on here knows what the part number or an aftermarket part number for the banded cutter wheel belt is? Also, does anyone know what size the jackshaft bearings are? Are they 11/4 or 11/2? Thanks in advance, Joe

I tried to buy a cutter wheel belt for mine from a belt dealer. They couldn't help me. Carlisle makes the belts for Vermeer, but they said Vermeer must own the mold so that no one else can sell a belt for it. It's a little different than anything else. So it appears you have no choice but to buy the belt from Vermeer. I have a spare belt in my garage that has the numbers readable on it, but I'm not there right now. I might be able to get them to you tomorrow. But actually, I guess all that doesn't matter because when you buy it from Vermeer, they already know what belt it takes. All I know about the bearings is that they are about $80 each from Vermeer. I've seen some on ebay that I think are comparable in quality - set of four for $80. Oh, back to the belt, I think it's $30-40 from Vermeer. Hope this helps a little. Jesus saves.

P.S. I'm quite sure jackshaft bearings are identical to cutter wheel shaft bearings.

I have a 2000 252 and my j/shaft bearings are 1 1/4 " , The cutter shaft bearings 1 1/2"..Most bearing suppliers can beat Vermeers price, but beware of quality..All bearing companies make a cheap ,low quality bearing line...Original equipment Vermeers use Link-Belt brgs.,which generally are more expensive...A good bearing supply house should be able to supply the correct replacement

As far as the cutter belt goes, it's made by Carlisle for Vermeer...I have tried every belt house in town here and none of them can cross-reference the numbers printed on the belt..
Even if you could find a supplier, my guess is the price would be very close to Vermeers.. I keep a close eye on my belt tension,and it pays off in belt life..

The 252 is a great machine, but as with any piece of equipment, it takes almost constant adjustment,maintenance,and inspection..Because of the work enviroment, ( dust, dirt, rocks, shock-loads , vibrations, etc) belts and bearings operate in some pretty harsh conditions..
Stan NCgrinder

Call me cheap,but I run 4 individual belts from the auto parts store. They work just fine for me.

Tip: I made a small rectangular cut in both belt covers[apr. 3/4 x 2 in ] on the upper side portion midway between the belt span.I can keep track of the tension of the belts and adjust when needed without removing the covers each time. .make the hole just big enough to get a finger or two into to feel the belt tension.

Disclaimer:Only do the above with the machine shut down.

Back