066 red light special

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southbound

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok so a friend of mine has a 066 red light special with decompression valve... He has been working on it from time to time and been asking for my advise and yes I tried to tell him I am not the guy to ask but anyway....
He decides after a new seal on the flywheel side that he wanted to sell.. Had it at the local shop for $250 so I looked at it but the man at the shop said the crank was bad :dizzy: Well time goes by and I buy it for way more then I thought it was worth $50... With gas in the cylinder and lots of pulling it will start and run but it is sucking air like crazy.. So I tore it down and as I was going to pull the flywheel I notice the flywheel and crank is wobbling... After splitting the case I find sealed bearings and the fw side is in pieces... Ok so now we are kind of up to speed I can't get the bearing out ...

Any suggestions??? trying to stay away from cutting it out I want to save the case...

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't just press it out from the other side?

The crankcase is closed off on the outside of the flywheel side, so you don't have access to the bearing from the outside of the case.

There's some ways to deal with that. One method is to cut through the bearing race with a Dremel and a small cut-off wheel. You have to be careful to not gouge the case.
Another way is to take the inner race from another bearing, and jam some ball bearings between it and that outer race and get yourself enough tension to press the
whole mess out.

A third way is to weld something to the outer race so you can press it out.

I don't believe that the red light cylinder ever had a decomp. Try heating up that bearing and it should push out. You may have to put the bearing back to gather to press it out

I would probably try to heat the case with a blow torch...the trick i guess would be finding something to grab the bearing with..
Maybe you could carefully tack weld something onto it and pull
Tack weld a washer or something on the bearing than use a press or drift and pound it out..Good Luck.

Heat the case half up to around 325F and slam it against a piece of plywood to shake the bearing out

I have successfully taken out 5 different chainsaw bearings like this one has by the welding a washer into the center of the bearing race with a mig welder. Cool off the weld and then heat the case to 260F , a light tap with a drift and hammer popped them right out.

The crankcase is closed off on the outside of the flywheel side, so you don't have access to the bearing from the outside of the case.

There's some ways to deal with that. One method is to cut through the bearing race with a Dremel and a small cut-off wheel. You have to be careful to not gouge the case.
Another way is to take the inner race from another bearing, and jam some ball bearings between it and that outer race and get yourself enough tension to press the
whole mess out.

A third way is to weld something to the outer race so you can press it out.

I guess I've done too much "engineering". I'd go with welding something to it. A couple of big washers, some half inch round stock, and a short, heavy piece of pipe would make a poor man's slide hammer. :D Cut the bearing and washer off, and use it the next time that happens.

I don't believe that the red light cylinder ever had a decomp. Try heating up that bearing and it should push out. You may have to put the bearing back to gather to press it out

They didn't have a decomp.

Heat the case half up to around 325F and slam it against a piece of plywood to shake the bearing out

This in the easiest way. Little heat and a good tap on a 2x4... BAM, total time, 2 minutes!

You need the ball bearings and inner race. Place them back into the outer race and press it out as you normally would. If you don't have them, it would be worth sacrificing and AM bearing for the parts you need. You don't need all of the balls, but enough to evenly space the inner race.

325 and two taps later it flew out!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now as for it not being a true red light I would not be surprised... All I know is it has a the red light on the tank.. It does have the wider flywheel like a 066 and the starter rewind to match.. So no 064..The flywheel does however have two grooves for the key to fit into.. Of coarse I did not notice till I had it off so no Idea which one is correct????

Well I wont have time tomorrow to play with this but I will take pic's and measure the piston and come back to play what saw is this???? Like I did with my first 064......

Latest posts

Back