084 Differences and Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to think it's an error in the database..

BTW... that same seller has a great deal on Stihl (OEM) 044 10mm pin P&C at $150... way less than dealer cost.

Last edited:
I just looked at a 084 for a guy... he paid good money for it, but it wasn't quite running right... and has an air leak. Looked good though.

1) Wrong clutch drum... old version on newer oil drive.
2) Drum bearing collasped and trashed drum.
3) JB weld repair on the upper dog mount - just like we just saw on the 066!
4) Muffler front wrecked 'cos they couldn't get the upper screws out. hmmm..
5) compensating carb on non-compensating filter base - no atmospheric reference).

No big deal on the above... just $..

6) Main bearings really loose.... oh uh... Now it's a big time repair... and an obvious source of the "leak".

Here she is boys. A little eye candy for ya.

244781196-M.jpg

244781367-M.jpg

244781265-M.jpg

244781458-M.jpg

There's a little chip yet that I need to dress off on the rear handle.
244781368-M.jpg

244781273-M.jpg

244781460-M.jpg

244781531-M.jpg

Where is the new fuel tank/handle??

That's for the "new" one I'm building. This is the one I got from Freakingstang last Wednesday along with the parts 084 and 066 RL. I'm still waiting on the new case from thechainsawguy. It's coming from Canada, so should have it next week. I'll be going through the eBay 084 tomorrow.

Very nice work. It's almost too pretty.

A little elbow grease and auto polishing compound should clean that tank up.

Last edited:
Brad - How much hassle was your oil pump hose ? Did you end up ,keeping the old ,repacing,just using heat ? :chainsaw:

I replaced it. No problem at all after reading others experiences. I held it over heat until a little soft and then stuck it through the case passage. I then pressed in the little bushing and took a center punch and pushed it down where it needed to go. On the other end, I re-heated the hose as well as the outlet on the pump and slid it on. A little heat makes it an easy job.

I just rebuilt an 084 with after market jug,rings and piston .I did use oem seals and bearings .One thing I changed was that crappy tank vent .It's sporting a Echo cs-8000 tank vent with a 1 inch piece of echo 3 mm fuel line.Yes oem case seals too no leaks .Tested everything with mighty vac.I put a new Walbro carb on it also.I have a Stihl 41" es and a 25" es bar and chain for it.Hope this things last for awhile.I'm looking for a flywheel case half to build another 084.If anyone has one kicking around ,let me know.

Back