084 Differences and Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

You must be a JB drinker:chainsaw:

JD you got that right..........:cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
I thought I'd again show the difference in the two mufflers backs made for the 084. These were both sandblasted and painted. It seems these are very prone to heavy rust. Fortunately, neither of these were rusted through. The only one now available new is the open one without the internal tubes. I know, I just bought one for the "new" saw, OUCH:cry: Notice the difference in the exit holes. I'm temped to insert a metal plate where the fire screen normally goes, and weld some tubes on the cover. This will prevent the side of the case and the bar cover from getting toasted as they normally do.

244274934-M.jpg

There are actually two equally large exit holes here. The smaller hole is actuall a deflector for the larger hole below it.
244274997-M.jpg

244274887-M.jpg

Both exit holes are wide open.
244274952-M.jpg

Last edited:
attachment.php

Hasn't been run for 8-10 years. Pulled over fine. Piston and cylinder looked great. It was adverstised as "needing a rebuild..." What he really meant was "carb kit"...

A couple of hours work...

The fuel was still in the tank - yellow, like thin oil... Carb - yellow oily mess but still wet (good). I took the carb apart, cleaned it and the gaskets etc (didn't have a new carb kit) in my ultrasonic cleaner, and reassembled. Replaced all the hoses - stiff and "putty like". ... Fitted the spare brake handle - clutch etc looked great.

Hmmm... she's no virgin... No cylinder base gasket... just dirko. Checked everything I could from the outside, but no signs of porting other then what looks like a polish. Hard to tell though as I sold my ONLY stock 084 cylinder to another AS guy three days before I bought this saw.. damnit. :chainsaw: I'll check squish later but the cylinder and piston look great.

Time for fuel... Stihl ultra 50:1

Three pulls... and one cough. one more pull.. FRIGGGG!!!!! FORGOT the damn deco. Note to self - ELASTOSTART!!!! fingers hurt.. grrr....

Press deco. One more pull and wroooommmmmmmm!!!! Big clould of smoke, ears hurt... big smile...

Damn, that saw sounded good.... but it's dark now, so tomorrow it will cut wood.

Latest posts

Back