084 Differences and Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad you have always seemed resourceful but this is bordering on thievery

How did you do that????????????? :cheers: :clap:

I highly recommend you begin shopping with thechainsawguy. $125 + shipping. He's located several of the parts I needed. Should have a nice big delivery later this week, early next week. He has cylinder kits for several models if needed. Send him a PM.

...it prevents the case gasket from burning...

That's likely why the 084 I'm rebuilding had a little JB Weld on the case seam below the muffler. There was not heat reflector. That one of the reasons I went ahead and split it. I don't need to get this thing all put back together only to find it leaking oil there. No worries now.

Thanks to Gumnuts, I've now got a nice used cylinder, cleaned up and honed, on the way from AU.

Last edited:
IT RUNS!!

Rebuild #1 is running. I've still got work left to do, but the saw's running and running well. I only ran it long enough to get the cylinder hot and shut it off for a heat cycle. I'll do this a few times on this new P&C. You talk about throttle response! And this thing idles like a BBC with a monster cam. I love it. Yes, I went ahead and threw the new P&C on it that I bought from the dealer:clap: The new one I bought off eBay will go on the new saw i'm building. I'm still waiting on a few parts. I need the carrier for the clutch, so I couldn't button that side up. I also need to sandblast the muffler and paint it and the top handle. I want to go through the carb and clean it up good too. It's always a relief to see a project run for the first time, so I'm happy tonight.

243565808-M.jpg

I've got a single key way in the flywheel and the 3-pickup coil, so no problems there.
243565846-M.jpg

243566039-M.jpg

I'm wainting on a new filter cover from eBay.
243566059-M.jpg

243566042-M.jpg

Last edited:
Just back-tracking on post.

The work has begun. I tore the parts 084 all the way down to bare case halves.
241973095-M.jpg

. :help:
You did'nt say how you spit the case.Do you have the
case splitter tool ? Did you make one ?

Tools - make as I need ! If possible.

Jug on the move- :) SUGGEST YOU OPEN OUTSIDE -bean-bag foam :D

Last edited:
I drive the alignment pins out. Then it's a simple matter of slightly heating the case around the bearing and tapping the crank out with the bearing. I don't even heat it enought to burn the paint. Be careful not to heat the bearing too much because some of them have plastic retainers spacing the balls out internally. It doesn't take much to get it out when you heat the case. It's just like the reassembly process where I put the case in the oven and the bearing in the freezer.

Last edited:
Yr -Projects Looking Good

I drive the alignment pins out. Then it's a simple matter of slightly heating the case around the bearing and tapping the crank out with the bearing. I don't even heat it enought to burn the paint. Be careful not to heat the bearing too much because some of them have plastic retainers spacing the balls out internally. It doesn't take much to get it out when you heat the case. It's just like the reassembly process where I put the case in the oven and the bearing in the freezer.
-----------------------------------------------

Thanks again
Good to see it coming together for you.
Looks like you've time framed
3 in 3 weeks ( fasteest gunner in z west)
moddedin 4
EBAD ,for one ,in 5 weeks ?
Some cash back in 6 ? :)
Can we watch ? :popcorn:

Whats US price on NEW cranks ?
Mine are good /just wondering
New clutch assemblies go for AU $ 96.00 here ( first quote) :)
Mine are good/ JW
Bearings and seals -much same as US .Although AM 's ,I'm told ,just as
good but third cheaper.

:givebeer: - at least one program works

It's just like the reassembly process where I put the case in the oven and the bearing in the freezer.

I tried that on my late model 088 (like the 880) that has the steel insert in the clutch side... it's SOB.... hot or not. I had to make a rear support, use anti-sieze paste on the bearing and use a big hydraulic press.. and I even bought a new "specially sized" bearing - stihl has them ground a few 10ths less on the OD.

@>()<@

I tried that on my late model 088 (like the 880) that has the steel insert in the clutch side... it's SOB.... hot or not. I had to make a rear support, use anti-sieze paste on the bearing and use a big hydraulic press.. and I even bought a new "specially sized" bearing - stihl has them ground a few 10ths less on the OD.

Andy - i rememeber your other post on splitting.ALL GOOD.
GREAT TIP ON THE ANTI-FREE.Think my journals on the wrecker are worn anyway so should pop easily ,i hope.
Giving some ,dream on thoughts for a retro 140cc DEMON

Back