084 Differences and Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the liberty of posting this of behalf of RR2 (and for my own knowledge).

Is this piston a candidate for cleaning/ light sanding/ polishing and a new set of rings? What would you need to look out for if you did this?

attachment.php

Experts, what say you?

It's hard to tell for sure, but is that light scoring all the way across, or is it only that one streak? If only the one streak, you could smooth it up and open the ring groove back up and put a new set of rings on it. I'd personally want to see a new piston in it if it was to see much use. I've seen a piston that had seized and locked up in a saw get polished and reused. Runs great.

Last edited:
The ring land area is only one thing to consider - measure the skirt - I bet it's tapered... Among other issues...worn skirts is noisy (piston slap) and raises poor idle issues.

The ring land area is only one thing to consider - measure the skirt - I bet it's tapered... Among other issues...worn skirts is noisy (piston slap) and raises poor idle issues.

Yeah thats what I'm thinking,,, it idles well though and still has 150+ psi compression,,,, it is a popup piston so the piston dome has already been cut,,,,

Andy send me your email address on PM please,,,,,

It's hard to tell for sure, but is that light scoring all the way across, or is it only that one streak? If only the one streak, you could smooth it up and open the ring groove back up and put a new set of rings on it. I'd personally want to see a new piston in it if it was to see much use. I've seen a piston that had seized and locked up in a saw get polished and reused. Runs great.

it is streaks,,, the one in the center stops just below the bottom ring land however- there is another light streak on the PTO side of the Exhaust port that goes all the way down the skirt in just one line,,,

The saw still starts and idles fine....I heard no slapping but my ears are pretty well gone,,, you cannot hang a finger nail in any of the scuffing,,,,

It has the old syle airfilter and I found sawdust fines behind it all over the face of the inner intake dam and throughout the entrance of the carb venturi,,, The carbon is concentrated in the back of the Compression chamber roof around the Spark plug hole,,,I am supect that it is the cause for the light scoring,,,, the exhaust port is clean,,,,, the plug is not lean but I have not pulled the cylinder to inspect the bore as the saw is a bit pricey in my opinion for what I see.....

Im kinda stuck on what to do it's not a problem I just have to decide:monkey:

Last edited:
I took the liberty of posting this of behalf of RR2 (and for my own knowledge).

Is this piston a candidate for cleaning/ light sanding/ polishing and a new set of rings? What would you need to look out for if you did this?

Experts, what say you?

Jared blow up that other PIc and post it!!!!! I dont' know how !!!!:monkey:

Andy says I missed the bus along time ago!!!!!! I told him nahh I always rode the short bus!!!!!!:monkey: :monkey:

Love River,,, Alias the Techno Dunce!!!!!!!

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking, that exhaust port has been worked over.

But he did say it was pop-up piston.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that port looks mighty uneven. The bottom edges are lower than the center. And the port is not tapered evenly inside to out. But then again, if it runs good, looks may not really matter. On the piston, if you're looking to buy the saw, it needs replaced.

Not wanting to be outdone in the race for more 084's

I just couldn't resist....

Saw... plus spare 41 inch bar:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Oh.. it came with unopened Alaska Mill...

attachment.php

And a backwoods muffler "mod". The rear section is one off the "Dual Tube" mufflers.

attachment.php

Hasn't been run for 8-10 years. Pulled over fine. Piston and cylinder looked great. It was adverstised as "needing a rebuild..." What he really meant was "carb kit"...

All I can see that's wrong is a broken-off (deliberate) brake handle (I just happen to have one!) and the manual oiler knob is missing.

Sale? Who said anything about a sale? Oh.. that was ULTRA....:jawdrop:

I guess for "the right" price, everything is for sale...

Last edited:
Back