088 Oiler problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z4lunch

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Steve here...
Just put a new oiler in my 088,($95) the saw has maybe 30 tanks through it.... i use Stihl chain oil only. When the pump died last weekend, i took it apart and found the gear on the long shaft had sheered some teeth. anyone else have to replace an oil pump on an 088 or 066. Blows me away how I was able to grind this up.

My dealer was able to get a pump for me in 4 days. The distributor drop shipped one from another dealer. If the distributor has an item in stock it only takes a day or two. If they don't have it in stock it could take two weeks.
Steve

O66 and 088 oilers differ by alot.

Im not sure how it got chewed up, but I always replace both peices. just the gears, not oiler.

Jim
How do you know the clearances are right, when you replace the gears. I changed the hole unit, assuming it was defective. Or something was out of tolerence.
Steve

Check the inlet strainer. A lot of sawdust can get in the oil tank over time. Pump may be fine, just trying to pump though a clogged screen. Jonsered used to recommend flushing the oil tank out with pre-mix. I'd still remove the screen and clean it seperately.

Hi Steve, this will be a first with regards to me hearing about a pump going bad on a larger powerhead of Stihl brand, however I saw a pump get fried on an 036 because the saw user cut with the chain break on. Not suggesting you did this, but like you said it may have been a factory defect. I never take any particular precaution about sawdust around the cap, but then again, I dont make bug dust, only curly fries.
Tony Llama

I am not framiliar with the 088 oiler system, i got the repair manual in front of me, the gear and worm should pull out of the oiler i think.
Id replace the gear and the gear that runs it, on the sprocket?

I am not sure how it is setup, snap a pic and i can help, the manual is a little unclear.

sick 088 oiler

Jim,John,
Steve here... Here are a couple picks of the oiler.
John ya no...I could'nt undr stand y the saw would chain stall in pine...Guess I forgot to take off the chain brake eh...LOL
As you guys can see from the pics..There are a couple teeth that are a litle shorter than they should be.

Steve

ok, ???? i thought you was talkin about the plastic oiler gear.
My only guess would be debris in the tank, never seen one get chewed up like that.

Latest posts

Back