Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
If a shorter bar on a big saw suggests possible failure due to over reving, it also suggests that the shorter bar has alot less rolling resistance which is a good thing.
Having a huge bar on a saw is about as practical as having monster mudders on your S10 unless of course you are cutting big timber or going to the drive in.
It only makes common sense to use the shortest bar possible that makes the work speedy and efficient.
Big long gangly bars just for the sake of looks is nothing more than affectatiousness.
John

1088.jpg

God of ArboristSite
totally agree about not using longer bars unless you actually need the length.

that's why my fav combo is 046 with 20in bar :D

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
I'm with GYPO and 046!

Short bar are great for smaller wood, and HP, and so long as you don't mind the saw weight, is GREAT! The bars often weigh more than the saw. I run a 16" with full-skip on my 361 unless I need to cut bigger wood. Cut's like crazy and there's almost no teeth to sharpen :)

I hate long bars for small wood, particularly if it tight quarters - always worrying about where the tip is when cutting up against the dogs.

Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Sorry guys, but i disagree, having to limb logs bending over all day is such a waste of energy. having a longer bar and standing up to do all the work is very efficient and I think putting a big bar on a big saw is like having big mudding tires on a lifted full size truck. I think that its as suprising to me that a person would have a 20" bar on anything bigger than an 036 as it is for you to think no one on this side of the country would run anything less than a 32 inch bar on a 044+. In the woods here, anything less would be insufficient.

Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
"8 out 10 trees in oregon are douglas-fir"
"Full grown douglas-firs may exceed 250 feet in height and 10ft in diameter"
Trees To Know In Oregon

big bar=neccessity

Diesel JD

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Well with the short bar you're constantly plunge cutting and at risk for kickback, of course with the long bar if you cut up against the dogs then the tip you are correct is constantly putting you in danger of severe kickback like we saw in that video. The way I cut, I usually cut with the front 1/2 of the bar...don't know if that's a bad habit but it is how I operate. Hence the 25" bar on my 390...and why I was so hesitant to dump the 28". I also hate stooping to cut limbs.

Latest posts