100:1?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the thing is why risk it then? Why not have a little more insurance?
Oil is pretty cheap compared to you equip!

We were constantly having problems with the mufflers stopping up, our mechanic was constantly taking them off and burning them out with a torch. Im not sure why we had that problem but I think it was from guys topping off the cans before they got empty, or putting the wrong size mix in the wrong can. So he made the decision to try the amsoil and the problem went away. Works for us.

We were constantly having problems with the mufflers stopping up, our mechanic was constantly taking them off and burning them out with a torch. Im not sure why we had that problem but I think it was from guys topping off the cans before they got empty, or putting the wrong size mix in the wrong can. So he made the decision to try the amsoil and the problem went away. Works for us.

I see , I have never had any prob with carbon, but I can see were alot of diff guys running saws and mixing fuel could be a nightmare! Just like with trucks when you get a bunch of diff drivers in them they tend to go to h*** pretty quick!

Let me play devils advocate here. I'm sure the guys that grew up running 16:1 and 20:1 wouldn't dream of running 50:1. They wouldn't care if it were synthetic or not. Suppose some of these oils do give equal protection at 100:1. Even if it does, it'll take years before it becomes common practice.

For example, I used to change my oil religiously at 2500 miles when I was younger. I now go 10K on my car and yearly on my truck. I've seen the oil analysis to prove it. This may be no different.

Me? I want to se more proof. I'm not either yet willing to "risk" my equipment at 100:1.

I'll also add that my BIL ran his high strung 1989 Yamaha Banshee on Opti-2 at 100:1 for 20 years. We just replaced the crank last year. It was only the 2nd time to rebuild the top end too. Would the crank have lasted longer at 50:1? 32:1? I don't know. But I was always amazed that he was crazy enough to do it, and even more amazed that it worked. He never babied it either. He ran the snot out of that thing and it just kept coming back for more.

Let me play devils advocate here. I'm sure the guys that grew up running 16:1 and 20:1 wouldn't dream of running 50:1. They wouldn't care if it were synthetic or not. Suppose some of these oils do give equal protection at 100:1. Even if it does, it'll take years before it becomes common practice.

For example, I used to change my oil religiously at 2500 miles when I was younger. I now go 10K on my car and yearly on my truck. I've seen the oil analysis to prove it. This may be no different.

Me? I want to se more proof. I'm not either yet willing to "risk" my equipment at 100:1.

I'll also add that my BIL ran his high strung 1989 Yamaha Banshee on Opti-2 at 100:1 for 20 years. We just replaced the crank last year. It was only the 2nd time to rebuild the top end too. Would the crank have lasted longer at 50:1? 32:1? I don't know. But I was always amazed that he was crazy enough to do it, and even more amazed that it worked. He never babied it either. He ran the snot out of that thing and it just kept coming back for more.

:angel: If your gonna be the devil ,

I still dont think ill try it, I mean no way in h***

The main thing I dont like about using 100:1 is its very hard to see the mix in the gas, sometimes I have to look really hard to make sure it is mixed.

And the most interesting part of the test was that at the super lean ratios of amsoil, HP actually went down, 100:1 amsoil made less power than 40:1.
I will give them that he did not see extreme wear, but this was a short test too!

There's older literature on the same types of tests on motorcycle 2-strokes with the same results: more power with more oil. One issue I read about is the additives, if you mix with more oil than was recommended by the manufacturer, you are adding a higher concentration of the additives. As I said, the articles were old, and the additives have changed, so maybe it isn't as big of an issue now.

There's older literature on the same types of tests on motorcycle 2-strokes with the same results: more power with more oil. One issue I read about is the additives, if you mix with more oil than was recommended by the manufacturer, you are adding a higher concentration of the additives. As I said, the articles were old, and the additives have changed, so maybe it isn't as big of an issue now.

:cheers:

75:1 Amsoil Saber Pro with 93 octane Marathon fuel for me in everything.

I don't even carry regular fuel on my trailer because I don't need any mistakes being made when filling up.

I have had 0 issues but I have only been running it this way for 3 months. Ran the white bottle Stihl before that and did not like it at all, switched to the black bottle oil and that was a little better and then the Amsoil and it is excellent!

I'll also play devils advocate and say that I bet some of you guys are already sometimes running more than 50:1 and you don't even know it. If a 50:1 mix is made and the can is not shaken every time immediately before refueling the amount of oil in the bulk of the fuel is going to be more than 50:1, It would be interesting to know how high that ratio could become in a can that has sat for a long time.

I like the idea of less lube, but I'm also not willing to try it, especially on my older saws. The reason I like the idea is for health reasons. I don't know what it is but going the other way, eg ~25;1 or less I start to feel nauseated and get a headache. Maybe it's just me but I wonder what this stuff is doing to us.

I'll also play devils advocate and say that I bet some of you guys are already sometimes running more than 50:1 and you don't even know it. If a 50:1 mix is made and the can is not shaken every time immediately before refueling the amount of oil in the bulk of the fuel is going to be more than 50:1, It would be interesting to know how high that ratio could become in a can that has sat for a long time.

I like the idea of less lube, but I'm also not willing to try it, especially on my older saws. The reason I like the idea is for health reasons. I don't know what it is but going the other way, eg ~25;1 or less I start to feel nauseated and get a headache. Maybe it's just me but I wonder what this stuff is doing to us.

I shake the can every time I fuel a saw, just habit.
I did mix up some fuel and klotz though and had it in a glass jar, it sat for a weak and did not appear to settle, they also claim it stays in suspension.
Still I always shake, I just cant stop thinking it needs mixed up a little!

I shake the can every time I fuel a saw, just habit.
I did mix up some fuel and klotz though and had it in a glass jar, it sat for a weak and did not appear to settle, they also claim it stays in suspension.
Still I always shake, I just cant stop thinking it needs mixed up a little!

I'm the same way, I always give the can a good shake. I know it's not necessary, it just makes me feel better.:givebeer:

Ive been using amsoil saber pro at 70:1 in a ms180 for a while now instead of regular stihl hp at 50:1. Main reason i changed was because saw ran a little lean on stihl oil and didn't respond fast from tickover and didn't 4 stroke out the cut at max (none adjust carb). Runs great now on amsoil, starts better, picks up better and with a slight burble at wot. Its cleaner too. :clap:

Why didn't you like Stihl's oil?

I also think it's funny how all of the Amsoil guys have low post counts, and the only time they say much is when Amsoil is mentioned in a thread or post. It sounds a bit like :spam: to me, but what do I know.:cheers:

If this is pointed at me, I did not like the white bottle oil because it was plugging up my spark arrestors. The black bottle does not do that. I also do not like the white bottle because it is JASO FB and not JASO FD. The black bottle is. I actually traded back a full case of the white even up for a case of the black bottle.

I use Amsoil in the summer when the heat is really on here in FL. I run Amsoil in my equipment and vehicles. I am not a dealer, I have a commercial account because I am a business and they give the same price or less than the dealers pay to commercial account people.

I am not spamming anyone. I use Stihl oil from November through March here when the cooling power of the Amsoil is not needed like durring the summer months when my 2 cycle gear is being nuked in heat.

That was a stupid statement, Andyshine. What does post count have to do with lubricants? I have a low post count because I have not been a member all that long. If you don't like it, don't use it. I use it Amsoil because I want my equipment to last.

Back