100:1?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't no anything about AMSoil, I just know where they make it.

I wouldn't even know where to buy it around here. I do know if it's priced anything like the synthetics they make I can't afford to run it daily.

I don't no anything about AMSoil, I just know where they make it.

attachment.php

Quick story for the mix here. I have always run ALL 2 stroke equipment at 50:1 with good quality oil. I switched fuel cans from 5 litre to 10 litre and for some reason my brain didnt do the math correctly (I have since removed the offending organ). So for nearly 1 year I ran all my saws at 100:1 with Stihl oil without knowing it. One of my 200t's pooped itself and was fixed under warranty but the dealer asked about fuel mix and of course, I said "I mix it 50:1 with your damn oil"! Later I double checked and realised my mistake. All my gear runs at 50:1 now with genuine oil. All the savings you could make over even 5 years of running my seven saws doesnt balance out the cost of even 1 rebuild. Give me a margin for error every time.

That was a stupid statement, Andyshine. What does post count have to do with lubricants? I have a low post count because I have not been a member all that long. If you don't like it, don't use it. I use it Amsoil because I want my equipment to last.

Stupid? I think I hit the nail on it's head, and you pretty much confirmed my suspicions.:spam:

If this is pointed at me, I did not like the white bottle oil because it was plugging up my spark arrestors. The black bottle does not do that. I also do not like the white bottle because it is JASO FB and not JASO FD. The black bottle is. I actually traded back a full case of the white even up for a case of the black bottle.

I use Amsoil in the summer when the heat is really on here in FL. I run Amsoil in my equipment and vehicles. I am not a dealer, I have a commercial account because I am a business and they give the same price or less than the dealers pay to commercial account people.

I am not spamming anyone. I use Stihl oil from November through March here when the cooling power of the Amsoil is not needed like durring the summer months when my 2 cycle gear is being nuked in heat.

I asked because no modern oil should plug up the spark arrestor. The screen plugging up is almost always caused by improper carb tuning. Stihl's Ultra oil is one of the best oils on the market and if used properly it runs extremely clean.

What fuel mix would possibly better than 50:1 at 1400ft-1700ft in elevation?

You tune your carb to your altitude, not your mix. Go with a 50:1 ratio and a good synthetic oil. I cut a 8000ft to 9000ft without any problems at all. Thats in anything from high heat, freezing cold and snow. When I get a new saw, its H and L are way off for my elevation! LOL The last saw that I bought was a husky 336. It was set from the factory @ 13800 rpm at sea level. At my elevation, it was turning about 11000'ish. I had to cut the limter tabs to get in the right range!

I have no doubt as to the quality of amsoil, I am sure it is exc, it has to be to run at 100:1 .
Whoever I don't trust it at 100:1 and never would. I would run it at 50:1 though.
I use Klotz because I trust it and like the smell and can get it locally!
I run 40:1 in my saws!

I do have to agree with andyshine on the stihl oil plugging up a spark arrester,
no good brand oil now days should have carbon build up like that unless your running way to rich a mixture or the saw is running way rich. My brother runs stihl oil the cheaper one at 50:1 all the time ,I muff modded his saw, no carbon to speak of!

Also I have to agree with Bsnelling on the point of why take a chance?
You dont get more power at 100:1 with amsoil so why do it? If you like amsoil run it at 50:1 and tune your saw and you should have no carbon.
My klotz leaves the saw nice and oily yet not much carbon and not much smoke, in fact one thing I really like is I can tune saws in my garage now and dont get my *** chewed because it does not stink up the whole house like the old husky oil I used to run!

So you cut 8000ft-9000ft in elevation at 50:1? :monkey: Because I know there should be a difference between my mix and yours.

There is not a difference, at all.... Ive messed with ratios @ 40:1 - 42:1 - 50:1. It comes down to tuning your carb for your altitude. If I take one of my saws to your lower elevation, its going to be super rich! The oil ratio is going to be a minor factor in it being rich.

Here is some ratios for you:

40:1 is 3.2 oz
42:1 is 3.04 oz
50:1 is 2.56 oz

When going from 40:1 to 50:1, the carb adjustment is very minor. The precentage of oil to fuel from 40:1 throught 50:1 is small. At the elevation I live at and cut, the air very thin. So I have to set the carb richer then at your elevation.

What's your elevation, 40:1 seems a little rich?

It is not the mix per say, it is the thin air. I live at 7500ft and do most of my cutting at 8000-9000ft. I am not sure about lower elevations when it comes to carb tuning. But I am tuning my carbs(50:1 mix) at 13350rpm @ 7500ft. When I cut at 8000-9000ft, I am seeing about 13425-13500'ish rpm wot on a warmed up saw. Maybe some one else can chime in and explain it better?

Back