12v granberg file n joint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHRA1877

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have read a bunch about how people love their granberg file n joint, and for the most part I love mine as well, but for some reason mine gets jammed when I'm filing, sometimes it works great, but others it is just a pain. I want to switch to the 12volt sharpener that they have, I have seen it before and after seeing it on wranglerstar's YouTube channel I think it is the direction I want to go. Does any one have any input on the 12volt style?

I have a stihl 12v that I keep in my truck just in case . It works pretty good .. But the file n joint will get your chain sharper .if you file n joint is sticking up I usually spray mine with wd40 or crc . Don't use oil or metal dust will stick to the oil and wear things out

Sent from my phone when I should be working

The one I was talking about is the file n joint that has the 12v motor instead of the hand file, I have seen the electric ones without the file and joint attachment but want the precision of the whole set up preferably

This one:
Screen shot 2015-04-15 at 8.12.26 PM.png

Versus this one:
Screen shot 2015-04-15 at 8.14.09 PM.png

I have not used it personally. Just remember that the stone diameter changes as it wears, so you might not get the same precision as with the file type Granberg. Might still jam?

Philbert

That's the one! With the jamming I didn't think it would be an issue as it will only need to move an inch once per tooth vs the length of the file on multiple strokes, but I have never used one so this is all assumption. With the stones, they are cheap enough that after a few chains I can retire them, and I have a buddy that works at fastenal so I may be able to source them in bulk?

This one:
View attachment 419297

Versus this one:
View attachment 419298

I have not used it personally. Just remember that the stone diameter changes as it wears, so you might not get the same precision as with the file type Granberg. Might still jam?

Philbert
True, the stone does wear, but I have often gotten good results with the Granberg grinder, even after the stone wears. I bought a dozen stones with mine and occasionally I still use it. The other day I forgot my backup chain and ran into a couple of nails. My file was dull. The grinder would have kept me going. So, I switched saws instead. That works also in a pinch.

What I have never done is determined which gives a better edge--the rotary grinder or a disk. Seems like the rotary grinder would be closer to a file-sharpened edge.

Just speculating here, so take it for what it's worth.

When using the 'free-hand' rotary tool (it really has a guide on it for depth and angle), the user can finesse it a little to compensate for any wear/changes in diameter. In some other threads, users mostly said that they ground with the stone rotating from the gullet up to the top plate edge. With the mounted rotary tool, there might be the impression of consistency, but the edge may vary, unless closely monitored.
Seems like the rotary grinder would be closer to a file-sharpened edge.
The rotary stone would provide a hollow ground edge, close to that of a file ground cutter, but the square grind folks would not necessarily agree that that was 'better'!

Bottom lin is the OP needs to find something that works for him. Maybe that is figuring out why his Granberg jams or chatters. Maybe it is a free-hand rotary tool. Maybe its the mounted one. Please check back in with us and let us know what you decide and how it works!

Philbert

Got one of the grinders with the small "points" as they were called, back in the day. Sounded like an interesting twist on the file guide. Didn't work for me- the stones, even when regularly waxed, didn't last, nor did the drive belt between the motor and the tool arbor.

Never had the file guide "jam" though. I regularly wipe the filings off the file, and the guide stays clean by itself, else I'd wipe it too. Some sort of spray dry lube could well work, like teflon.

Still happy with how files work. Except for rocked chains, of course.

Back