15% I have WARNED YOU........ E15

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't seem to have ethanol in the petrol over in England which is nice, also the lowest grade you could buy is 95 octane with 98 or 100 octane available for japanese monsters and Porsches

That's roughly equivalent to what we have over here.

Oops...spoke too soon...that is a bit higher than what we have. (Your 95 is roughly 91 here.)

Last edited:
I Jumped the gun a tad

OK I Jumped the gun a tad but this does show that 15% is not acceptable the pump this guy bought fuel at is tagged up to 10% What I did not know when I posted last night was that the Customer also dosed the mix with DRY GAS????? Now if you add isopropyl to 10% you will boost the danger factor....

Sorry for any confusion

Scott

I've been using BP gas. No mention of ethanol on the pumps.
I called a BP/Amaco fuel hotline. I was told all BP/Amaco gas has ethanol whether it says so on the pump or not. The dealer i bought my new Dolmar from told me to use a 40/1 mix to help protect against damage by ethanol.

I know I had a can full of premium with more than normal amounts of ethanol. It had the smell of E-85, but not as strong. Luckily it was in my lawnmower. My saws were all switched over to 100 octane unlead race fuel because of this.

What would be the effect of running avation fuel in a stock saw to get around the ethonal problem.:monkey:

It will run fine and you can store the gas for a couple of years...

E10 works fine. All Stihl saws since Jan 2007 have left the factory tuned for E10. If you run E10 in any prior saw, it MUST be tuned slightly richer. I'm see a lot of old saws with "white'ish" mufflers and melting top plastic... they sure need to be tuned richer...

It is a state law in MO. for gas to have 10% E

Back in Nov. 2007 this sticker was on pumps for 3 or 4 weeks......then it was gone!

attachment.php

the sky is falling the sky is falling.......

OK I Jumped the gun a tad but this does show that 15% is not acceptable the pump this guy bought fuel at is tagged up to 10% What I did not know when I posted last night was that the Customer also dosed the mix with DRY GAS????? Now if you add isopropyl to 10% you will boost the danger factor....

Sorry for any confusion

Scott

oops....never mind

I found a quick test for alcohol in petrol from the aviation sector; MoGas (pump fuel) is sometimes used for aircraft engines but the ethanol causes unacceptable carburettor icing if you're not very careful. The test is as follows:

Acquire a measuring cylinder. fill it around 1/3 with water and accurately note the volume when placed on a flat surface.

Pour in another approximately 1/3 of suspect petrol. note the overall volume.

Plug the cylinder securely and shake well.

Allow to settle and note the dividing line between the petrol and the water. If the line reads to the original volume of the water you put in, the water has not absorbed anything from the petrol. If the apparent water line has risen significantly, it is because ethanol in the petrol has been absorbed by the water and boosted its volume.

I'm not sure if the density of the water/alcohol mix increases or decreases as it should, but if it does, the drop in volume of the petrol should give you a good idea of how much alcohol was there. The test is whether or not the overall volume changes; if it doesn't the maths will be comparitively simple.

I just picked up a new Farmboss MS290 Friday and the STIHL dealer said they JUST started recommending that ALL small displacement engines start running minimum 91 octane gas. They also handle a lot of commercial mowers. He wasn't specific as to why, but it had to do with the carb and he said Kohler dropped the warranty on their carbs to 30 days due to fuel issues. I am guessing ethanol. Don't know if the premium gas has less ethanol or if the higher octane compensates for the loss in power due to the increased ethanol.

Last edited:
So my question remains. Wil E15-20 hurt an engine if tuned properly for it?
Brad, I think you're zeroing in on the heart of the issue here. Putting aside the issues dealing with effects on rubber parts, my guess would be that so long as a carb is properly adjusted for the fuel in use at the time, you're probably gonna be OK. Let me add that I've done absolutely zilch in experimentation on the subjet. So far gas in this neck of the woods still is at worst E10. Based upon my limited knowledge on 2-stroke engines, I have to believe until proven differently that it all comes down to proper carb settings for given fuel in a particular environmental setting. Again, just my personal thoughts on the topic. When E15 is pushed at the local pumps and one of my 750s siezes, I may change my mind.

Dan

I know that when converting any 2-stoke to run straight alcolhol, the carb has to be modded or replaced so that a LOT more fuel is delivered to the engine. Ignoring the seal deterioration and water absorption problems, I don't see why it should be a problem running E15-20 in a chainsaw as long as it's properly tuned for it. There in lies the problem though. The saw comes from the factory tuned to run lean already on E10 to satisfy the EPA. Then Joe Shmoe operator puts in E15-20 and the already lean running saw runs even leaner. In some cases, lean enough to seize the saw. For those of us that pay close attention to the tune of our saws and tune them regularly, I don't see it being a problem. We might even get a slight performance advantage out of it. Storability becomes our biggest problem, with the resulting possible seal damage and water absorption. This is likely compounded by the fact that most fuel tanks are plastic instead of metal.

Latest posts

Back