1st fuel fill for brand new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking 45 to 1 fuel oil ratio. Mix up just a pint, enough to do just a few cuts. That would be 0.355 Oz of 2-stroke oil for a pint.

Or 40 to 1 fuel oil ratio. That would be 0.040 Oz of 2-Stroke for the pint?

Any recommendations? This is for the 500i, which is super expensive and I want to give it the very best initial use possible.

What about dropping 1 or 2 drops of oil into the spark plug hole. I'd then pull the engine over before fueling the saw.

Probably unnecessary, but any initial dry metal to metal wear would be eliminated.
They’re test fired at the factory. Upon teardown they look like any used saw inside in good condition. No need to add startup oil

My dealer warned me against changing fuel mix ratios. Apparently the autotune carb in my new Husq 562 will only adjust a certain number of times and then start throwing error codes. So I intend to (and am) using 50:1 from the outset and forever, to keep the thing happy.

I ran 40:1 in my new 362CM for the first couple tank fulls. Then from there on out, same as all my two strokes. I mix the Stihl oil at a ratio of about 45:1. My 261 cylinder looked brand new when I sold it after some hard use for a few years running that mix.
I only use non ethanol fuel for my mix. Never had a problem with it sitting for long periods, even over a long winter.

My dealer warned me against changing fuel mix ratios. Apparently the autotune carb in my new Husq 562 will only adjust a certain number of times and then start throwing error codes. So I intend to (and am) using 50:1 from the outset and forever, to keep the thing happy.
That’s ********, I run 40:1 in my 2018 562xp and 550 mkII no issues whatsoever!!

I'm thinking 45 to 1 fuel oil ratio. Mix up just a pint, enough to do just a few cuts. That would be 0.355 Oz of 2-stroke oil for a pint.

Or 40 to 1 fuel oil ratio. That would be 0.040 Oz of 2-Stroke for the pint?

Any recommendations? This is for the 500i, which is super expensive and I want to give it the very best initial use possible.

Get a quart of Moto-mix

Montana

running gas station 91 at 50/1 in mine. No issues. If you want to get fancy buy a quart or gallon of Stihl premix gas. Expensive but would be the “perfect” first few tanks according to the manufacturer

For my 500I my dealer put in Moto Mix ( it's 93 octane and syn 50:1) We proceeded out to his test log. Warmed up the motor and set the rings by putting a load on the saw. Took it home and noodled the rest of the tank on some wood to get it to heat cycle. (He did not fill it full). I then used my regular mix ( 91 octane non Ethanol with Stihl 50:1 synthic oil).

The first job was clearing a 42 inch tree that had fell on the trail. Used 36" bar and used up the second tank on that. I did not baby it and tried to always have a load on it.

So what you plan with oil mix is fine as long as you warm it up and bed the rings and do a heat cycle. Idle to warm up so the computer can adjust and idle to cool it down to turn it off.

You are going to like it. Just the sound of the pitch is different, and wicked fast acceleration. ;)

For my 500I my dealer put in Moto Mix ( it's 93 octane and syn 50:1) We proceeded out to his test log. Warmed up the motor and set the rings by putting a load on the saw. Took it home and noodled the rest of the tank on some wood to get it to heat cycle. (He did not fill it full). I then used my regular mix ( 91 octane non Ethanol with Stihl 50:1 synthic oil).

The first job was clearing a 42 inch tree that had fell on the trail. Used 36" bar and used up the second tank on that. I did not baby it and tried to always have a load on it.

So what you plan with oil mix is fine as long as you warm it up and bed the rings and do a heat cycle. Idle to warm up so the computer can adjust and idle to cool it down to turn it off.

You are going to like it. Just the sound of the pitch is different, and wicked fast acceleration. ;)
Thanks. I'm thinking 1 or 2 test cuts in 8 inch at 40:1. Let it cool then again at 45:1. After that run it in some big stuff for a tank at 50:1 and call it good. About what I did with the 261 earlier this year, but without varying the fuel/oil.

With the M-Tronic saws there is a reset procedure. Probably one for the 500i also. Husky too?

No need to change any ratio's. A proper series of heat cycles if far more important.

Get a good load on the saw is the biggest issue just like any of the self tuning units available don’t baby them otherwise you could be setting up for a lean situation down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s ********, I run 40:1 in my 2018 562xp and 550 mkII no issues whatsoever!!
Just to be clear, he wasn't recommending a particular ratio, just to not keep changing the ratio.

The guy sounded like he was trying to help me avoid carb. problems, which is against his interest in making $ on repairs. The message I took away was to be extra careful measuring when making the mix, so the ratio stays constant. Pick a ratio & stick with it, which seems valid.

Just to be clear, he wasn't recommending a particular ratio, just to not keep changing the ratio.

The guy sounded like he was trying to help me avoid carb. problems, which is against his interest in making $ on repairs. The message I took away was to be extra careful measuring when making the mix, so the ratio stays constant. Pick a ratio & stick with it, which seems valid.
While "pick a ratio & stick with it" is reasonable advice, I'm pretty sure the whole point of Auto-tune is to correct fuel richness that varies due to inconsistency in oil/altitude/air intake etc.

I ran 32:1 in my 562 most of the time. The exception being when I used a 28" full comp with a 20:1 ratio IIRC to take down a huge oak that a storm blew over in my neighbors yard. It ran great

Back