2 new saw reviews MS250 347XPne

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe people think pro saws are OK for beginners. I can't imagine someone inexperienced running my CS2171 and having it kick back or out and being able to handle it. For that matter they wouldn't even know how to keep it in the "powerband". I wouldn't want a beginner shooting a 44 Magnum pistol, Driving a 600HP sports car, Shooting a 300 Win Mag rifle, or running a 70cc pro chainsaw. Higher performance equipment demands more experience in all cases to me. Do any of you buy your 10 year old sons 500 S&W magnum pistols to start off with? Let you daughters learn to drive in Dodge Vipers? Give you wife a MS660 to learn to run a chainsaw? I respect your opinions, but I'll stand by mine.
The difference in a pro saw and a homeowner saw is not comparable to any of your analogies. Most often the difference between similarly sized saws is in terms of construction, longevity, user friendly features such as easier starting, running, and operating through better carbs, better anti vibration mounting, and better balance--all things that add up to making the pro saw easier to use.

About giving the wife something to learn on--that's entirely dependent upon what's being cut. If I was to start her learning how to buck a 4 foot tree that's on the ground, you can bet your ass I'd use a 660.

Last edited:
most people cut themselves with cheap dull knives......... a sharp knife is more dangerous how???? it wont cut you by itself

most shark attacks occure in 3 feet or less of water...... sharks dont live there!!!!

most people are idiots.......

serg

True it is best imo to start small if you are learning with anything. But proper instruction is key here. An idiot with a .22 is more dangerous than a newbie with .338 that is willing to learn and use the tool properly.A long time ago my first real job was a fire fighter[smoke jumper]and we all were taught proper chainsaw use with big saws, it's all in the instructions and experience of the teacher. If you are learning on your own these day's with computers and video it is easier, but I agree a complete green person should start small,But you also have to know your own ability in anything you do. This is were people get into problems with there ego.

Yup:cheers:

oh and the first saw i ever ran was a husky 266xp 20 inch bar

but i dont consider myself good by anymeans of the imagination

just know enough to know what i cant do

I'm definately on the side of proper instruction! First saw I learned to run was Partner 6500. 12 yrs old and closely supervised. Dad's opinion at the time was a smaller lighter saw I'd get myself in a dangerous situation much quicker than w/ a larger saw. Let's face it skin won't hold up to a 35cc saw any better than a 65cc saw.
First hand gun was a 45ACP at about the same age. Most important as said by many is the instruction and respect that big or small they will cut ya just as fast, and guns no matter what size will kill ya just as dead.
Wife didn't understand why I'm so tough on my 7 yr old when she made the mistake of pointing a toy gun at someone, she grew up in an environment of no guns.

Back