2010 MS391 what do you think

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyWoodsWood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got an interesting phone call from a fellow wood cutter today. It seems the cops are givin him hell and he wants to get out of the business. He wanted to know if I am interested in buying a saw. I said yes and he said he will sell me his 2010 ms391 with about 20 chains (@60-80% life) and a couple rim sprockets for $550.00. I think it could be an alright deal. He says the saw is only a month and half old and still has 10 months warranty left. Around 25 hours use. Let me know what you guys think. A new ms391 sells for $540.00 new at the local dealer.
Thanks.

Not me, I would rather buy a new one. The chains mean nothing to me all of them probably need sharpened anyhow. Not to mention 550 bucks could get you a very nice used PRO stihl.

Sounds like a good deal...for the OTHER GUY. Seriously...why the hell would you even consider that?? You must be getting blinded by all the old chains he's offering. The cops are prolly giving him hell for being a conman. lol

Sounds like a good deal...for the OTHER GUY. Seriously...why the hell would you even consider that?? You must be getting blinded by all the old chains he's offering. The cops are prolly giving him hell for being a conman. lol

This is the worst deal in the history of man. But if you decide to take this deal....I have a 1992 chevy pickup in my yard that cops have been giving me hell about. I'll sell it to you for $100 bucks more than the 1992 msrp if you twist my arm.

This is the worst deal in the history of man. But if you decide to take this deal....I have a 1992 chevy pickup in my yard that cops have been giving me hell about. I'll sell it to you for $100 bucks more than the 1992 msrp if you twist my arm.
You know nobody will ever go for a deal like that. You need to offer up about 20 half wore out tires to go with it to make it a good deal

Why would a a guy have 20 half worn out chains and a couple of rim sprockets for a month-old-or-so saw?

My dad used to cut firewood to sell and he never had more that 2 or 3 chains for the saw at any given time. And no sprockets. Just seems strange to me is all.

The chains and rims may be from a previous saw he has used.

HOWEVER, even if that's the case, why would you keep that many of anything? He either is VERY hard on equipment, doesn't know how to sharpen/maintain things himself, or both.

Even if you price chains at a cheap $15 a piece new, that's $300 worth of chain this guy has bought. Why buy a mid-range saw if you've got the coin to drop on 20 chains?

I'm with everyone else, go buy a nice new or used saw that doesn't smell so much like a chum bucket.

follow up

Went and looked at the saw and stuff yesterday and told him I would give him 475 just to see what he would say. He said yeah. Seriously I think it would be a pretty good deal. Counted the chains and don't ask me why but he has closer to 40 chains (says he buys them by the dozen even had a brand new one to put on when I ran the saw) and 6 rim sprockets plus an ES replaceable tip bar. The saw is in excellent shape and the piston is not scored and looks good. To me if I had that many chains I wouldn't have to buy one for a real long time. I guess he was cutting without a permit and has no interest in buying permits so he's gonna sell out. The deal doesn't seem fishy to me. Sure wish I had the cash but since I don't I will prolly just wait till I can afford a new 440 or something.

2 things; 1, why even quote a price if you dont have the coin,you just screwed yourself out of a potential better price if hes desperate.

2 , if hes in the business what are his other saws? i cant believe a 391 would be his only one. i think he got cheap bought a non-pro and didnt like it.

Even if the 40 or so chains have plenty of life left, what are you going to do with that many chains? The extra chains & spare bar don't make the deal a good one, even at the price you offered.

Not that eBay necessarily reflects what sane folks would pay, but it looks like in the last month a nice MS391 would go for around $450 or so (on eBay, not including shipping).

$475 seems a bit high, but if he threw in all of those chains, it could be considered a fair price; certainly not a good price, but maybe a fair price.

Still, the "cops are after me" comment would put me off - I don't need any more drama in my life, especially doing business with folks that for some reason have the Law chasing after them.

Bought it

I came across some extra funds today and got him off it for 375. Came with 27 chains and I think I figured out why he has so many. He never has links removed, just buys new chains. Spare chains are good for me that means I don't have to put out the coin for new ones all the time. 27 chains will probably get me by for a year or two. Anyways thanks for telling me what you guys think. I can't wait till tomorrow so I can play with my new toy.:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Back