2011/2012 Husqvarna vs. Jonsered Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winchester

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been comparing the new (2011/2012) Jonsered vs. Husqvarna chain saws. With a few exceptions I don't see much reason to buy a new Jonsered. The exceptions to this would be the CS 2139T, which is typically less expensive than it's Husqvarna counterpart the 338XPT. The next exception would be the CS 2159C, which is the counterpart to the now dead Husqvarna 359. The last exception would be the CS 2156C, which is the counterpart to the now dead/dying Husqvarna 357XP. Now the new Husqvarna 555 has been designed to replace the 359, but at a higher price point than the old 359, thus the advantage to the Jonsered. The new Husqvarna 562XP has been bred to kill off the 357XP, again at a higher price point it seems, again advantage Jonsered.

If you look across the Jonsered range, Husqvarna has the same saw built at about the same price. Except for those previously mentioned. For example, Jonsered CS 2152C = Husqvarna 353. Jonsered CS 2153C = Husqvarna 346XP. Jonsered CS 2172 = Husqvarna 372XP. Jonsered CS 2188 = Husqvarna 390XP.

So unless you have a great Jonsered dealer and a crappy Husqvarna dealer in your area then again I ask you. What's the point to buying a Jonsered?

I'm not looking to start a pissing match here. Just curious to hear what you all have to say. I love the Jonsered CS 2159 and the CS 2156 and it's a shame Husqvarna is killing of their counterpart to these saws, but can 2 or 3 models sustain an entire line of saws.

On a parting note, I guess Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury have been doing it for years.;)

The better angle of the starter handle is key. And the red. And black. And stuff.

And the price points you listed are off. The 555 beats the 357xp, so the price point of the 555 beats that of the 2156. No reason to buy a Jonsered other than dealer service or personal preference.

The better angle of the starter handle is key. And the red. And black. And stuff.

And the price points you listed are off. The 555 beats the 357xp, so the price point of the 555 beats that of the 2156. No reason to buy a Jonsered other than dealer service or personal preference.

The 555 was meant to replace the 359 not the 357XP. The 562XP is meant to replace the 357XP, and the 357XP is = CS 2156.

Thanks for the reply though. I'm always curious to hear the feedback.

The 555 was meant to replace the 359 not the 357XP. The 562XP is meant to replace the 357XP, and the 357XP is = CS 2156.

Intentions aside, it has been demonstrated or at least reported on here that a stock 555 beat a stock 357xp. It doesn't really matter what the saw was intended to do so much as what it does do. If the 555 beat a 357, and both were healthy, then it is effectively a replacement in so far as seeking out a comparably weighted and performing saw.

The 562xp is very powerful (at least from what little exposure I had to it). The power which these saws are able to deliver is surprising and worthy of appreciation.

Jonsered makes financial sense for husqvarna for several reasons. If it didn't it wouldn't still be around. You might get spike60 or someone who knows a lot about this to weigh in here, but to throw out a few points...

-The OPE business is a lot about market share. If jonsered dealers did a good job in the 70s and 80s developing a following for their product, then they cant suddenly start pushing a different color saw and get 100% conversion rates. It wont work like that. The second a brand disappears, people are going to start looking elsewhere. They won't feel any loyalty, and for those that have bee naiive, it will be hard to convince them that the saws that they have been buying were actually the orange saws all along.

-Jonsered and its regard for dealers has perhaps a little bit more of a "stihl" feel to it. They are totally not sold in box stores, etc.

-I think on a lot of items Jonsered and Husky are somewhat similar on dealer cost, and then dealers just get a fatter margin if they adhere to the MSRPs on Jonsered. I could be wrong on this but I believe in most cases Huskies are a little bit cheaper but not by much, and then there are some models for which they are not cheaper.

-Jonsered is also distributed through a different system in the US. Husqvarna dealers deal with husqvarna, whereas jonsered dealers deal with tilton, who is the authorized distributor for jonsered, at least in most of the united states.

You buy the jonsered if you don't know the difference, if you think it looks better, if you prefer the angle of the handlebar, if your dealer is better, if it's cheaper, if it's what's local, etc, etc, if it's what your dad had when you were growing up.

I agree, if you're looking, derive no pleasure from the looks or feel of the jonsered, and the husky is cheaper, then the husky is probably the saw to get.

Note that Jonsered generally gets most of the husky updates, but gets them a little bit later than the husky line. So there will be a 2260 and 2262 and 2258 or something. They are on the Swedish website already. the 359 was a well liked saw, but the 555 has had rave reviews.

Last edited:
Jonsered has a little bit more of a "stihl" feel to it. They are totally not sold in box stores, etc.

Not entirely true, at least in Canada. They do sell their poulan-type saws, the CS2135 and CS2138 in Rona, a chain of home improvement stores similar to the HomeDepot.

This thread is funny, because I always thought, "why would anyone buy a Husqvarna when they could get a Jonsered?" Around here Jonsereds had their foot in the door long before Husky (or Stihl) showed up, and a lot of people won't run anything but a Jonsered.

I prefer the look of the Jonsered to the husky, but the dealer network is very weak in the area I live in. You can't go wrong with either. My 2165 purchased 3 yrs ago cost the same as my 365xt purchased about a month ago. My husky dealer used to sell both.

When I was in the PNW, I don't remember ever seeing a Husky. All J reds. In S. AR a few years ago, you wouldn't see a Stihl. All Huskies.

And for you environmentalists, I suppose Poulan was the original 'green saw'.

Now Pinnacle Pete will straiten you out about the J reds.

:agree2: Except that the handle angle and added plasic on the starter side of the red versions is a big minus, at least to me - while some others like it for some odd reason! :smile2::hmm3grin2orange:

I assume the 2156 and 2159 soon will be replaced by the 2258 and 2260, basically the same as the 555 and 560xp.

I understand what they were intended to replace, just stating the capabilities that have been reported. And ya, what this guy said :rock:

Intentions aside, it has been demonstrated or at least reported on here that a stock 555 beat a stock 357xp. It doesn't really matter what the saw was intended to do so much as what it does do. If the 555 beat a 357, and both were healthy, then it is effectively a replacement in so far as seeking out a comparably weighted and performing saw.

The 562xp is very powerful (at least from what little exposure I had to it). The power which these saws are able to deliver is surprising and worthy of appreciation.

Jonsered makes financial sense for husqvarna for several reasons. If it didn't it wouldn't still be around. You might get spike60 or someone who knows a lot about this to weigh in here, but to throw out a few points...

-The OPE business is a lot about market share. If jonsered dealers did a good job in the 70s and 80s developing a following for their product, then they cant suddenly start pushing a different color saw and get 100% conversion rates. It wont work like that. The second a brand disappears, people are going to start looking elsewhere. They won't feel any loyalty, and for those that have bee naiive, it will be hard to convince them that the saws that they have been buying were actually the orange saws all along.

-Jonsered and its regard for dealers has perhaps a little bit more of a "stihl" feel to it. They are totally not sold in box stores, etc.

-I think on a lot of items Jonsered and Husky are somewhat similar on dealer cost, and then dealers just get a fatter margin if they adhere to the MSRPs on Jonsered. I could be wrong on this but I believe in most cases Huskies are a little bit cheaper but not by much, and then there are some models for which they are not cheaper.

-Jonsered is also distributed through a different system in the US. Husqvarna dealers deal with husqvarna, whereas jonsered dealers deal with tilton, who is the authorized distributor for jonsered, at least in most of the united states.

You buy the jonsered if you don't know the difference, if you think it looks better, if you prefer the angle of the handlebar, if your dealer is better, if it's cheaper, if it's what's local, etc, etc, if it's what your dad had when you were growing up.

I agree, if you're looking, derive no pleasure from the looks or feel of the jonsered, and the husky is cheaper, then the husky is probably the saw to get.

Note that Jonsered generally gets most of the husky updates, but gets them a little bit later than the husky line. So there will be a 2260 and 2262 and 2258 or something. They are on the Swedish website already. the 359 was a well liked saw, but the 555 has had rave reviews.

i run jonsered because i have a dealer 5 min up the street from me and another dealer 15min away and both are awesome to do business with whereas the 2 husky dealers within the same distance are pretty much useless imo. i did buy a new husky 555 cause the jred 2156 was on back order and i needed/wanted a saw that size becasue i had a job come up where a 2171 would be overkill.

as soon as the red version of the 555 or 562 is available, i wil have a couple of them. the orange husky just looks outta place in my fleet of red/black.

I like the feel of jonsered better personally. The handle spacing is better for running a little longer bar than the husky counterpart. I don't think there's a saw out there that looks better than the 2171/2188s. :cheers:

They're so close I don't see the big deal here.

I like the front handle angle and color better on the Husky.

:cheers:

Handle, yes - color, no way!

Also, my Husky dealer probably has the best sevice in the area, and the handle etc is more important than the color! :biggrin::biggrin:

Handle, yes - color, no way!

Also, my Husky dealer probably has the best sevice in the area, and the handle etc is more important than the color! :biggrin::biggrin:

I actually like the red/black about as well as orange, but I really like the angle of the Husky top/filter covers on the smaller saws, better than the square ones on the Jreds.

Visited a Jonsered dealer yesterday that I pass by occasionally. He was giving a sales pitch to a customer that the Jonerserds are the 'commercial grade' Husquvarna saws.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back