"2015 You Suck Thread"-Pictures required

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my first ever entry into the "You Suck" Thread. I go to a local pawn shop a few times a year usually to look at the loose hand tools. They always have small engine stuff including chainsaws, but I have always found them to be priced well above what I would pay. As I walked by, I looked over the half dozen saws they had, and focused on an Echo CS-590. It looked good from the top view, and I noticed the price tag... $70 as is FIRM.
I picked it up and saw that the side of the fuel tank was bashed in. I asked the guy at the counter about it, and he said it was being sold as a parts saw, and grumbled about how they should never have taken it in the first place due to the damage. I pulled the starter rope and it had good compression, so I bought it. As another pleasant surprise, the $70 was the out the door price including tax.
I got it home and started to work on the gas tank. I decided to try "welding" the tank together with a soldering iron. It worked to a degree, but I was getting fuel seepage still from the side of the tank. I had some JB Water Weld on hand, so I tried that as a patch to the tank. After it dried, I fueled up the saw and tried to start it, and it started and ran great. So I've got a great running saw for a total of about $72 + 1 hour time for cleaning / tank repair. The tank hasn't leaked in more than a week since the repair, so it looks like the soldering iron/JB Water Weld may hold long term.
It's got the 20" bar and chain. I also performed a compression test and got a reading of about 163 psi. I pulled the muffler just to check the condition of the P/C and it looks very nice.
643e732a-f3e1-45fa-abac-152dfe282622_zpsudaud9ti.jpg

IMG_1486_zpsetnxstnw.jpg

7d73abb8-4b4f-4453-835b-09e7dbcc472b_zpszvm6paxx.jpg

8ab19aed-946c-4e8b-8088-a4bb00d4193c_zpsuf5kexgb.jpg

IMG_1495_zpsdsuf6jnd.jpg

I hoestly have no idea if this is a u-suck or not but found an old Dahl 250gal wood boiler on CL for $200. Needs new solenoid, insulation, some work on exhaust side, but it holds water and doesn't leak!

ac178ee2700e924bed0e10b27317ee29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$60, delivered by original owner with 4 extra new chains that he bought with the saw, spare plug, scrench, and bar cover. Older gentleman, said they bought when they moved to Colorado, thought he was going to be cutting a lot of wood. Wife started missing grandkids so they moved back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
That's a solo, i had one nice saw

Nice , I sold mine but it's still going. Last year he said he cut 20 plus cord with it.

Nice , I sold mine but it's still going. Last year he said he cut 20 plus cord with it.

I've had most of a scored one on the shelf for a couple years, just never did anything with it. When he called and said he had a Craftsman he was bringing me, I wasn't expecting this. I offered to sell it for him, but he said he wasn't trying to get rich, just wants it moved on to someone that can use it. He said he wanted $50, but all I had was $20s, so I told him to keep the $10 for delivering.

Latest posts

Back