2018 Axe Cordwood Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a lot of respect for this guy and all those doing that challenge. I split all my wood by hand with a relatively heavy maul and consider this to be done safely if there is no one around me. Using an axe instead of a chainsaw is definitely not something I would feel safe doing. It’s really a skill that requires time to master. I had the bad experience to cut myself in the foot with my father’s axe when I was young and I imagine how bad it would have been if I had cut an artery in my leg. Also an axe doesn’t cut flesh like a knife does, even with just a little swing it cuts deep. I heard of a renowned surgeon who was experienced at cutting down trees on his property who died crushed under a tree. Maybe he was tired that day or it was just plain bad luck. Please be safe at all time and know your limitations, especially with an axe. My advice if you are not confortable at some point, don’t force yourself to do it. I hope that in a couple of years I will be able to try doing the challenge and I will start practicing at using a lighter axe (higher speed) for splitting and maybe bucking once in a while .

I think you bring up a very good point, and towards the end of SkillCult's video he stresses the safety concerns, and mentions that this is not something for beginners. I'm not a seasoned pro, but over the past few months I have been practicing my axemanship in various, albeit limited capacities, depending on what tasks I had available and if the time presents itself.

Yesterday, while I was happy with my efforts, definitely realized that I still need more practice. I had one moment with a glancing blow that passed across the bottom of my shin. I wear sawing boots with Kevlar tongues and steel toes, but they'll only protect so much. I try to concentrate on my swings, my aim, and keeping mind of my frontal zone as well as where the edge of my axe is, but the danger is still very real. It is probably moot to compare the safety precautions of axe cutting versus chainsaw cutting - both are certainly dangerous, so exhibiting caution.

I am an advocate of wearing the proper PPE; though for axe work, saw chaps won't really over any protection other than another layer to cut through on a bad blow. Accidents certainly do happen, and I know my limits, and when to call in a professional. In August of last year, my stepfather (by common law) died while felling a tree. It turned and fell on him crushing his pelvis. He called 911 with his mobile and also the neighbor saw it happen. He died shortly after arriving at the ER. He was from a small town in Iowa, a country strong man who has felled I don't know how many score of trees in his lifetime, but one mistake or unfortunate, unforeseen incident can be all that it takes to alter or end one's life. I certainly recognize this.

I haven't had a need for one. Trees are felled with a feller buncher, limbed with a stroke delimber and turned into firewood on a firewood processor.

Yeah, I guess you really don't... not sure if all of that will fit in my garage. :D

Kudos to you for having that much spare time...

Yep, two hours on a paid holiday off of work, and probably the first substantial wood cutting I've done in over a month. Tons of spare time.

Definitely some risk when "cross cutting" or "bucking" with an axe with the log on the ground. (Not sure what the correct term is?). I would imagine a longer handled axe would be much preferable for this work?

Definitely some risk when "cross cutting" or "bucking" with an axe with the log on the ground. (Not sure what the correct term is?). I would imagine a longer handled axe would be much preferable for this work?

Agreed. Yesterday I had the log propped up on other pieces of wood, standing behind the area being cut and swinging between my legs with them just a bit wider than my shoulders. Traditionally it was done standing atop the log swinging in the same manner.

Another way to do it is to make log dogs or cradle from two 8-10' wider logs braced together. That way you would stand back and make your bucking notches from the top, then turn over to cut through the same way.

I've always heard it called bucking, cutting a long long into smaller logs, but crosscutting is probably a synonymous term as well.

I think you bring up a very good point, and towards the end of SkillCult's video he stresses the safety concerns, and mentions that this is not something for beginners. I'm not a seasoned pro, but over the past few months I have been practicing my axemanship in various, albeit limited capacities, depending on what tasks I had available and if the time presents itself.

Yesterday, while I was happy with my efforts, definitely realized that I still need more practice. I had one moment with a glancing blow that passed across the bottom of my shin. I wear sawing boots with Kevlar tongues and steel toes, but they'll only protect so much. I try to concentrate on my swings, my aim, and keeping mind of my frontal zone as well as where the edge of my axe is, but the danger is still very real. It is probably moot to compare the safety precautions of axe cutting versus chainsaw cutting - both are certainly dangerous, so exhibiting caution.

I am an advocate of wearing the proper PPE; though for axe work, saw chaps won't really over any protection other than another layer to cut through on a bad blow. Accidents certainly do happen, and I know my limits, and when to call in a professional. In August of last year, my stepfather (by common law) died while felling a tree. It turned and fell on him crushing his pelvis. He called 911 with his mobile and also the neighbor saw it happen. He died shortly after arriving at the ER. He was from a small town in Iowa, a country strong man who has felled I don't know how many score of trees in his lifetime, but one mistake or unfortunate, unforeseen incident can be all that it takes to alter or end one's life. I certainly recognize this.

Yeah, I guess you really don't... not sure if all of that will fit in my garage. :D

Yep, two hours on a paid holiday off of work, and probably the first substantial wood cutting I've done in over a month. Tons of spare time.
Let me know how many hours it takes to work up a cord that way. In my limited time, I prefer to use machines to get done as much as I possibly can.

I would take this challenge if I had next year's firewood already cut split and stacked. My goal is to have that done by spring before the snow is all gone. If I meet that goal I will consider taking this on. No guarantees though. I'll have to buy a chopping axe. The Fiskars splitting axe won't chop well.

Let me know how many hours it takes to work up a cord that way. In my limited time, I prefer to use machines to get done as much as I possibly can.

Why, it'll take several hours over several sessions, this is why it's a challenge.

I also like to use power equipment, and typically do, and there's nothing wrong with that. It is vastly more efficient, yes. No reason to poo poo this idea just because you don't think you have enough time. Live a little :D

Not having the time is a real issue for someone like me who burns 6-7 cord per year and needs 20% moisture or less and has only 1 cord processed to date. I see it as business before pleasure. Get my responsibilities out of the way then I can play. I have lots of Ash and Soft Maple thst is all 12" or less.

I would take this challenge if I had next year's firewood already cut split and stacked. My goal is to have that done by spring before the snow is all gone. If I meet that goal I will consider taking this on. No guarantees though. I'll have to buy a chopping axe. The Fiskars splitting axe won't chop well.

I totally understand, I actually do have about 4 cords already split and stacked for next season, which is why I am able to do this. Plus, during the winter months there isn't much yard work to keep up on, so it works out. I will also still be sawing wood from here on, it just won't count for the challenge.

Why, it'll take several hours over several sessions, this is why it's a challenge.

I also like to use power equipment, and typically do, and there's nothing wrong with that. It is vastly more efficient, yes. No reason to poo poo this idea just because you don't think you have enough time. Live a little :D
Not trying to rain on your parade. What I meant to say is this sounds like it could be fun IF I had extra time. I have a full time job, 4 kids, sell around 130 cords a year, and do landscaping jobs as well. This leaves me just enough time to drink some beer from time to time and that I'm not willing to give up. :)

There was an English lord, I can't recall his name ATM, but he was respected by his lordy peers and loved by the tenants of his land. One thing he advocated was regular physical exertion by all classes. He practiced what he preached and chopped wood with his servants on a regular basis. This was one of the things that endeared him with the common people.

When I was young we didn't have anything but a bow saw, a double bit axe and a maul. I cut wood by hand at the edge of town and hauled it home in a trailer behind my bicycle. On the weekends dad would hook the little utility trailer to our Volkswagen van and he would haul home loads of wood I'd cut and stacked, a third of a cord per load. My next younger brother was my faithful helper, he ran the other end of the bow saw and followed me everywhere on his little bicycle. For several years we put up two to three cords a year and that supplemented the electric heat in the house. Mom would set the inside thermostat at 55°, if we wanted it warmer we had to light a fire.

At sixteen I got my drivers license, at seventeen I bought my first chainsaw, at eighteen I bought my first 4x4 truck. Getting wood was starting to get fun and I kept hauling it home. Now I own so many saws I've lost count, I own and build splitters and firewood processors and I have crews that I pay to use all kinds of machinery to turn trees into wood products. It all got started with a humble bow saw, a double bit axe, and a maul.

Like the English lord I believe regular physical exertion is healthy for all. I support the idea of picking up an axe and chopping wood.

Still, I'm not sure I really feel like working that hard chopping wood again.:chop:

I have lots of "yard work". Lol
View attachment 622648

I see a bit of snow.... I do not see a yard ;) - What I actually meant is there's no lawn or field grass to cut. In the summer, it takes me over 3 hours to tame my growth if I did it all on one day. In the winter, I do not have to do that weekly/bi-weekly. Snow removal is another thing. Haven't had a big one here in about two years, probably due for one in Feb.

Not trying to rain on your parade. What I meant to say is this sounds like it could be fun IF I had extra time. I have a full time job, 4 kids, sell around 130 cords a year, and do landscaping jobs as well. This leaves me just enough time to drink some beer from time to time and that I'm not willing to give up. :)

Amen to that, brother. Not raining on my parade, heck it's not even my idea, I just thought it was a neat challenge. As an axe enthusiast (lover of all vintage tools, really) - it just speaks to me, so I figured, what the heck, why not see if any folks on here want to get in. I get it, we're all busy, some of us more than others. Even though I only have a humble few acres and a small sustainable wood lot, it keeps me busy enough. No production scale firewood operation. I've got a stressful full time job with over an hour commute one way that keeps me away from home often up to 14 hours a day; however, we do not have any rugrats (kids, not misspelled 'regrets') - just a couple of rambunctious dogs.

So you people tell me I need to buy all these chainsaws then you tell me to buy a fiskars then you want me to get rid of the chainsaws?

The guy in the video doesn't want me to even attempt walking in the woods or swinging an ax.

I'm so confused.

I think you're missing the point... He's saying that if you're not in practice, then he doesn't recommend trying. It's probably just CYA for the softskulled chest thumpers.

I've tried felling with an ax and the tree fell the wrong way. Ended up cutting down 2 trees with the stihl.

I stick to splitting by hand. I do enjoy a good swinging of the ax at a tree but damn that's not a challenge for me. Splitting my fire wood with out a splitter is enough of a challenge.

I often dream of the life in the woods in a small cabin and so on but there's a chainsaw and an atv involved. Lol

I think it's a great reminder just what an impressive and powerful tool an axe can be in skilled hands, and I enjoyed watching assume of the skillcult videos where he goes through the challenge.

Not for me though, I don't have access to fell my own trees, most of what I get is already bucked even, I just split. I did do 4+ cord last year by fiskars, which isn't in the same league at all, but gives me a bit of understanding how impressive the axe challenge is. I'd enjoy reading how you get on.

OK, I might give this a go, not shooting for a cord, just droppin and choppin one or two little ones. I think I'll put the stone on the American Beauty, it's the oldest ax I have. Just a little OT because you mentioned cross cuts. When I was a kid Homelite hadn't thought of the Xtra Lite 12 yet. My Dad, and all climbers I knew, used hand saws to trim and top out trees. They would hand cut stuff up to 20" regularly. Here's a pic of one of my Dad's saws. Someone I worked for gave me an old saw similar to Dad's and it had the helper handle on it, so I swapped it over to Dad's, Joe.

0VCObN3.jpg

I have a lot of respect for this guy and all those doing that challenge. I split all my wood by hand with a relatively heavy maul and consider this to be done safely if there is no one around me. Using an axe instead of a chainsaw is definitely not something I would feel safe doing. It’s really a skill that requires time to master. I had the bad experience to cut myself in the foot with my father’s axe when I was young and I imagine how bad it would have been if I had cut an artery in my leg. Also an axe doesn’t cut flesh like a knife does, even with just a little swing it cuts deep. I heard of a renowned surgeon who was experienced at cutting down trees on his property who died crushed under a tree. Maybe he was tired that day or it was just plain bad luck. Please be safe at all time and know your limitations, especially with an axe. My advice if you are not confortable at some point, don’t force yourself to do it. I hope that in a couple of years I will be able to try doing the challenge and I will start practicing at using a lighter axe (higher speed) for splitting and maybe bucking once in a while .
I understand your point and agree with you. As a fourth generation Arborist I can tell you the absolute worse new hires we would get were guys that said they new how to run a saw and drop trees. They would literally mutilate every safety rule we had and argue how they were right, because that's how they always did it. Your surgeon story makes that point. Who said he was experienced? Was he a certified Arborist? Maybe he had just been real lucky for a long time. I autopsy every deer I shoot to see the damage done by my shot, I'm very experienced at that, but I don't think you want me taking your Adenoids out. I NEVER drop a tree without putting a tag line in it to help direct it, no matter how straight and easy it is. You can have a perfect straight tree that's hollow or rotten inside. If one side of the top is just a few hundred pounds heavier than the other, it can spin on the stump and fall to a right angle of where it's aimed. With a tag line it can't do that. I've seen many weekend warriors do what I consider to be really STUPID and dangerous stuff, but can't call them on it because they have been doing it that way for years, and KNOW they are right. When I started driving tractor trailers and had questions about backing up 53 footers, my boss said, "If your 99 percent sure you can do it, do it". Coming from the tree business, when knowing you are right, when you are wrong, can get you or someone else killed, I asked back, "What if I'm 99 percent sure, but I'm 89 percent wrong". Repeated success does not make someone experienced, it just makes them confident, and confidence breeds complacency, and complacency is dangerous. One of the first things you learn around trees is you can't be complacent, when things go wrong, they go wrong fast, lecture over, Joe.

I posted these pics in scrounging the other day. It was probably irresponsible of me because when I took the pictures I didn't have any of the rigging in them. I had a 17000 pound test bull line going to a 15,000 pound tractor and another bull line going to my truck. The log was stabilized to where it really couldn't move. I took the pic of the log sticking out to show how much tension was still in the wood after being blown over since spring. If someone looked at that snag and didn't realize I had rigging in it, and they just walked up to another one like it, and started cutting, it could be very dangerous, Joe
TZu5J0v.jpg

5u5F2Dc.jpg

u4pTS0p.jpg

Latest posts

Back