225 acre hardwood lot worth ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bitzer knows what he's talking about.
Thank you Bob. I've been getting pretty good at what a forest needs for proper mangement and how to keep a stand as a source of income every decade or so. The local dnr trusts me to mark MFL stands now because they have seen my work and know what I'm in this buisness for.

Sounds about right to me i don't mind throwing out the adress Blitzer if u wanna look at Google maps or viewpoint u can get some satellite imagines , there is one cut to the left of my house that was all cut and split for firewood though! What a waste I can honestly say no one home realizes the worth of the wood we have around there I had no idea untill someone suggested it to me
Without feet on the ground its really hard to estimate the quality of timber. I will look from the sky when I have time but even walking though a stand a guy can be fooled. The trees might look ok but if it was pastured heavily at one point you might end up with a lot of hollow butts. Who knows? It's a gamble either way. I would get some history on your woods. Who logged it last? Was it pastured at one point? Ask around to some of the older neighbors. Old guys have lots of great info if they have lived there ling enough. Also find a reputable consulting forester or DNR forester (government). The government forester might even walk it for free and give suggestions. When it's time to harvest get at least three bids. Personally I would want to get paid when the job is completed. A lot of landowners will take lump sum at the beginning but any extra board footage coming out beyond the estimate you will not get paid for. If you get paid after its all been tallied well you get paid for it all. Make sure you get loads slips of every load leaving the landing. You may want to hire a forester to oversee if you don't have the time.

Thanks man ! Appreciate all your guys help and I plan to contact one on Monday to take a walk on my days off because I am getting a appraisal done on my house and land ...

The lot was never cut before only some fire wood never for logging purpose that's from my grandfather who lives there for 75 years

I'd make some trails first throughout so as to access the resourse, then take one ripe pumpkin per acre for a cool 125,000 gross, but the grade has to be there.
Hard to tell without cruising it first.
You could also do a pre commercial thinning of the lower grade. Lots of options.
Pasturing a bush makes it easier to work as all the understory disappears and doesn't hurt the more dominant trees.
Keep us posted.
In the 2 weeks that you are gone Bitzer and I should have the whole thing pulped and pillaged by the time you get back.
I'll pay him a buck a foot to fall and skid, while I sit on a stump. Lol

I have a bulldozed road to the top of the mountain or Ridge as we call it, so when whoever comes to look we will have no issues getting to it ! Big bonus lol....hahah you are funny gypo unforutally I don't think my community would let that happen hah

I totally agree with everyone I'm going to have one come in and see what he thinks it's hard to fund the right buyers honestly I tried a few and that is how this guy got mt nunber so we will see!

Me and tsa don't get along so much... they wan't to probe and I wan't to swing fists at morons... that and I don't think they will appreciate my calk boots... and the axe in muh carry on...

Seriously though 225 acres is worth a look, but I couldn't do it justice not knowing yer mills or markets would be a bad mix

Without feet on the ground its really hard to estimate the quality of timber. I will look from the sky when I have time but even walking though a stand a guy can be fooled. The trees might look ok but if it was pastured heavily at one point you might end up with a lot of hollow butts. Who knows? It's a gamble either way. I would get some history on your woods. Who logged it last? Was it pastured at one point? Ask around to some of the older neighbors. Old guys have lots of great info if they have lived there ling enough. Also find a reputable consulting forester or DNR forester (government). The government forester might even walk it for free and give suggestions. When it's time to harvest get at least three bids. Personally I would want to get paid when the job is completed. A lot of landowners will take lump sum at the beginning but any extra board footage coming out beyond the estimate you will not get paid for. If you get paid after its all been tallied well you get paid for it all. Make sure you get loads slips of every load leaving the landing. You may want to hire a forester to oversee if you don't have the time.
It's quite apperant, like your mentor, you'd give your father a blowjob to do your mother out of a piece of tail.
Screw you and your forest prescription.

Todd, please remember your talking to a bunch of americans lol to be honest, even though gypo logger is a ****'n has been cull he's probably the best guy your gonna talk to about this on this site simply because he cut hardwood back east for 20+ years IN Canada. the forest industry between countries is very different and while there has been alot of good advice given regardless you need to talk to canadian professionals. yanks can buy it but they can't log it. not trying to scare you off but this was probably the worst F&L section to post in for you lol if your into online discussion in the meantime you will have much more canadian industry info at the forestry forum.

It's quite apperant, like your mentor, you'd give your father a blowjob to do your mother out of a piece of tail.
Screw you and your forest prescription.
Thats very clever John. You come up with that on your own or you read that in hustler? When did you last mark a woods? Things are a little different from twenty years ago.

Todd, please remember your talking to a bunch of americans lol to be honest, even though gypo logger is a ****'n has been cull he's probably the best guy your gonna talk to about this on this site simply because he cut hardwood back east for 20+ years IN Canada. the forest industry between countries is very different and while there has been alot of good advice given regardless you need to talk to canadian professionals. yanks can buy it but they can't log it. not trying to scare you off but this was probably the worst F&L section to post in for you lol if your into online discussion in the meantime you will have much more canadian industry info at the forestry forum.
Much different then getting a forester and a bunch of bids? Explain... You're Canadian. Let's get your insight.

Come on now guys I don't want this to turn into a battle of Canada vs merica...your all gonna move here when trumps elected anyways lol JOKING

Here is a small picture where u can see very little of what the woods looks like

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161106-080616.png
    Screenshot_20161106-080616.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
can't tell, cow or bull ? That's a good freezer load right there and will be great through the long winter coming up. moose ribs, moose steaks, moose burgers, moose nose (yano it's a delicacy right ?)...smoke the hides....

I genuinely want to know how is it different?

Both sides either hand fall or mechanized, canada has some more hoops to jump through to be able to work, but at the end of the day we're just killin trees and shipping them to a mill, markets on the left coast are about identical except export, i would imagine the east coast wouldn't be much different .

Maybe a few more regulations to weed through... or less hopefully less...

It's a small bull not mine ! My old man guided this kids dad years ago and the kid had shot the moose so the kid got his own tag about 10 years later and called the Ole fella back ! Had him within 4 hours lol...

Latest posts

Back