2250 Jonserud hard starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 stihl nut

former space alien
Reaction score
Howdy all you saw gurus!!

Buddy of mine has 2250 Jonserud that doesn't like to start when it's cold out. He was running it and let it sit for a bit and then it wouldn't start again. Also won't start cold if it's been sitting in the cold.

Temps are only in the low thirties so it's not that cold. He claims that using the primer bulb tends to flood it.

He had it into his dealer and they told him bad gas but that is not the problem.

If it is warmer out, it starts in one pull. He just bought this new last fall. Is this a common problem with these?

I told him I'd sell him one of my 026's. Problem solved. But I also told him I knew of some sharp cookies (or cookie cutters) that might be able to help him out.

Ideas?

If it's older than 30 days old it's bad gas. If it's stored poorly it's bad gas. Rule of thumb is after 3 pulls with the choke push the choke in and pull again. But other than that there's a laundry list of things that could cause it to be hard starting. Jonsered dealer says bad gas ask them to show you what the suspect the solution is. Dealers aren't always wrong contrary to some customers belief, and not all dealers know what they're talking about either. Easiest way to figure out which one is the case ask for what caused him to believe it's bad gas, then have him demonstrate that changing to fresh mix is working.

If it's older than 30 days old it's bad gas. If it's stored poorly it's bad gas. Rule of thumb is after 3 pulls with the choke push the choke in and pull again. But other than that there's a laundry list of things that could cause it to be hard starting. Jonsered dealer says bad gas ask them to show you what the suspect the solution is. Dealers aren't always wrong contrary to some customers belief, and not all dealers know what they're talking about either. Easiest way to figure out which one is the case ask for what caused him to believe it's bad gas, then have him demonstrate that changing to fresh mix is working.
Thanks.

It was fresh gas today and I do understand how gas is . We Are using premium non oxygenated. The point here is that it doesn't have this problem in warmer temps. I truly believe the dealer was taking a stab in the dark because it starts fine in warmer temps.

In the cold the choke needs to be used. Like above, he needs to learn to use it. Choke on until pop and then off and pull more.

Latest posts

Back