24 hour burn in the new Woodstock Ideal Steel stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck with the stove, I wanna know how to get 50mpg out of my old 4x4. When I go putting around the woods I'm lucky to get 12. :)

Starting to smell like spam on this thread.
I use the same screen name on this forum and two others dedicated to heating with wood. I've lurked here for years, been a member for a year and a half, but have not posted much. I was a member of another forum on which I was very active but recently a bunch of us got banned under false pretenses. Those banned were pretty much fed up with the liberal extremist views of the forum admins. So I started posting here right when I was awaiting this new stove installation.

That being said, if posting a thread about a new stove with new burn technology is considered "spam" on a subforum dedicated to Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment then maybe I'm on the wrong website.

Again.

Frankly, I wasn't expecting to run into the kind of nonsense here that we tolerated on that other site.

Last edited:
Impressive stove,.. but of course I'm a little biased being a Vermonter and all.
It's not as pretty as my green enamel Jotul 602 CB, but it is much, much more efficient.

The stove is impressive and the test results are impressive as mentioned most guys would be happy with 8-10 hours much less double that amount . I wholeheartedly agree on other forums liberal bias without naming any names . Don't let people's opinions upset you it is a valid experiment and a lot of people in the market for a stove are interested in your endeavors .i think as readers ( myself included ) we have to realistic and realize this wasn't a test to see how hot you get your house ...it was to test the stove and post the results

The stove is impressive and the test results are impressive as mentioned most guys would be happy with 8-10 hours much less double that amount . I wholeheartedly agree on other forums liberal bias without naming any names . Don't let people's opinions upset you it is a valid experiment and a lot of people in the market for a stove are interested in your endeavors .i think as readers ( myself included ) we have to realistic and realize this wasn't a test to see how hot you get your house ...it was to test the stove and post the results

Thanks.

Later this week when it warms up into the 40s I'm going to pack it full of 3 year seasoned locust and run a similar test, close to zero air. That's the next test I was requested to run. I won't bother with all the details or open it up for photo and video documentation like I collected on this test but at least I'll know the longest possible burn on low for mild shoulder season weather.

You got 24 out of it, but really not practical is it?

Only in shoulder season or a milder climate.

If it was in the 40s during the day and 30s at night this burn cycle would have been more than adequate. But when it's getting down to 19 at night in a medium size drafty old house that's a bit much to ask of a long low burn. If it had stayed in the mid to upper 20s overnight my furnace would not have kicked on and this burn cycle would have been quite practical.

How did it look comin' out of the chimney?
After engaging the cat you couldn't tell there was even a fire in the stove. The smoke cleared even faster than it did when I was burning my Fireview. The hybrid combo of secondary air and cat really seems to clean up the exhaust.

I use the same screen name on this forum and two others dedicated to heating with wood. I've lurked here for years, been a member for a year and a half, but have not posted much. I was a member of another forum on which I was very active but recently a bunch of us got banned under false pretenses. Those banned were pretty much fed up with the liberal extremist views of the forum admins. So I started posting here right when I was awaiting this new stove installation.

That being said, if posting a thread about a new stove with new burn technology is considered "spam" on a subforum dedicated to Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment then maybe I'm on the wrong website.

Again.

Frankly, I wasn't expecting to run into the kind of nonsense here that we tolerated on that other hearth related site.

I'm not concerned. Sure, it's a little like an infomercial for these stoves - that ain't even available yet, but more so, it's a guy showing off what his new toy can do. Tell me there ain't a ton of that going on all over this site every day.

Mostly, we as mods have some discretion in this area. If it's not outright selling, it gets a pass with me. Say for instance, you were posting this only with "Buy it here at xxx dot com", that makes it selling. If one of our sponsors feels it's a problem and reports it, we have to consider that as well. So far that hasn't happened, and I don't think it's likely to.

Yes, we have a duty to protect the people paying the bills around here, but if we hammered everyone who came here with a post about a non sponsor's product, it wouldn't be much of a site at all.

Keep us updated. Find anything you don't like yet, or would change on it? Sometimes that's more interesting than hearing the good side.

impressive burn times .. why did you choose to use a cat vs secondary burn?

how does this new cat stove compare to a Buck 91 with cat, which has a 4.4 cubic fit firebox?

I'm not concerned...

Keep us updated. Find anything you don't like yet, or would change on it? Sometimes that's more interesting than hearing the good side.
Thanks.

I think the only downside I see so far is that this stove heats and cools more like a steel stove than a soapstone stove. I was hoping for soapstone heat retention at a steel stove price but that might not be the role of this stove. The hybrid technology permits this stove to put out usable heat longer than any of their soapstone models.

And I do miss the looks of my Fireview.

I'm impressed as hell and can't think of anything impractical about it!? From 19- 34 degrees and easily staying 70 + for 24 hrs. I don't know what more anybody could expect. From some of the replies you would think this is a common occurrence, ppppffffffffftt. Yeah, yeah, I know he stuffed the crap out of it and opened it a couple times, whatever. It kept burning and had fuel to burn for the whole time!
I'd be happy as hell if my Lopi insert would keep good heat going for 5+ hours!
At least you documented it well. If you listen to some of the amazing stories in here you'd think it's normal to get 2 days of heat from a matchstick in a modified barrel stove!
I'm really surprised that the catalytic stayed engaged at such low temperatures?

no the sound board went south, didn't bother to replace it, not any real point for me. Its an old dell unit keep waiting for a capacitor to blow like the last one.

impressive burn times .. why did you choose to use a cat vs secondary burn?

how does this new cat stove compare to a Buck 91 with cat, which has a 4.4 cubic fit firebox?

This stove is a hybrid. It has both secondary air as well as a catalytic combuster. I think the Lopi Cape Cod hybrid does too.

This stove has a 3.2 cu ft firebox so I don't think it can compare to the big Buck on heat output.

I'm impressed as hell and can't think of anything impractical about it!? From 19- 34 degrees and easily staying 70 + for 24 hrs. I don't know what more anybody could expect...

At least you documented it well. If you listen to some of the amazing stories in here you'd think it's normal to get 2 days of heat from a matchstick in a modified barrel stove!
I'm really surprised that the catalytic stayed engaged at such low temperatures?

LOL, thanks Todd.

This stove has a hot spot on the front middle of the stove just above the door, right in front of the cat. It gets really hot just after I cut back the air so I'm pretty sure that hot spot corresponds to heat off the cat. It consistently registered as the hottest spot on the stove throughout the 24 hour burn.

I figure as long as that hot spot is staying hotter than my stove top temp next to the flue collar then my cat must be functioning. But I wouldn't mind having a cat probe too.

Thanks.

I think the only downside I see so far is that this stove heats and cools more like a steel stove than a soapstone stove. I was hoping for soapstone heat retention at a steel stove price but that might not be the role of this stove. The hybrid technology permits this stove to put out usable heat longer than any of their soapstone models.

And I do miss the looks of my Fireview.

Stack up bricks on top of it maybe..get them hot, they will radiate the heat then.

Really cool secondaries with this new stove. These were taken several days apart. Apologies for all the background noise o_O:

Is the cat visible above the secondary tubes?
No, you can't see the cat glowing on this stove from any viewing position. It sits above the top front of the firebox but it rides in a sled. The whole sled assembly rides forward and backwards to engage and disengage the cat

On these videos you can see the flames from the secondary air jets on the top rear of the firebox and the flames from the cat rolling across the front of the firebox.

Latest posts

Back