242xp or something newer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a smaller saw to compliment my closed port 365SP. I had actually been looking for a 346 when I bought the 365 but my dealer didn't have one at the time and I needed a saw immediately...
Anyhow, I've been striking out locally finding anything used smaller than 60cc in a pro series saw and my father offered to send me one of his old saws. He retired from the bush in the late 90's(started in the early 50's.)
I haven't ran a 346, or touched any of his saws since 02, so the decision is a little difficult, he is also 2000 miles away.
I would like to get his 246xpg as it wasn't used as hard as the others being his last new saw but I know he won't part with it. My second choice would be his 242xp. Im pretty sure it could use a piston/ring, as it had three seasons of use on it, and he replaced it because it was getting tired. He has a 42sp as well, but it's the same story. Both still run but are not 100%.
He really wants me to take his 95 254xp which is a relatively low time saw by his standards(was his big wood backup saw, probably has only seen 2 months actual use) but it's a bit bigger than I want right now.

Would it be worthwhile to go with the older saw, or is parts availability going to make the 346 or another more modern saw more worthwhile?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The 242xp is a firecracker of a limbing saw but if you are wanting to use it for bucking logs I would probably go the route of something with a bit more displacement.

Dad's collection is rather impressive and goes all the way back to a '57 PM Canadian 21, but none of them are show pieces all of them have been worked hard.
I honestly don't remember him having a Husky that didn't have a melted hood over the muffler.

I'm not looking to go out cutting firewood with it, looking more for a smaller, easier to handle saw for limbing and to carry in the truck just in case.

The 242 sounds like it would fit that role nicely! That is a very desirable saw.

Id be after that 246xpg. It only gives up 500 rpms to the 242 and it has heat which would be nice in canada. From your post, you also said it was in better condition than the others. Now the 254xp is a great saw as well. It will be a couple pounds lighter than the 365- be in the 12.7 range. 242xp and 246 are going to be the pound for pound king if you are looking for weight savings. The 246 is harder to source than a 242xp. The 543xp is nothing but an orange redmax..... it IS NOT a replacement for the 242/246. 346 is also a phenomenal saw if you can find one.

What is your budget?

The heated handles on the 246 are non functional, but either way, I know he won't part with it, as he still uses it for blocking the firewood he burns, at 75 it's not a whole lot, and the 246 is enough saw to keep him happy.
My initial thought is the 242, but I don't want to get myself into a saw that is impossible to get parts for.

I'm looking to stay at or under 300, and I'm more looking for a project saw than a new one.
I do intend on acquiring his entire collection or at least the ones that he wants to part with on my next trip home. There are some other goodies like a 444se with 5 hours on a rebuild that was done in 86 and a 114 Sachs-Dolmar .

Id be after that 246xpg. It only gives up 500 rpms to the 242 and it has heat which would be nice in canada. From your post, you also said it was in better condition than the others. Now the 254xp is a great saw as well. It will be a couple pounds lighter than the 365- be in the 12.7 range. 242xp and 246 are going to be the pound for pound king if you are looking for weight savings. The 246 is harder to source than a 242xp. The 543xp is nothing but an orange redmax..... it IS NOT a replacement for the 242/246. 346 is also a phenomenal saw if you can find one.

What is your budget?

Steve i run a 543 3-4 times a week and a 242 doesnt have much on that saw if anything.

The build on it im not crazy about but if spike is sellin them for around 300 bucks still its a hell of a saw at that price and would last an occasional user a lifetime.

prob so Ryan. and at that price, it's hard to argue against it. At retail, money is better spent on the 545/550- $/cc. The 543 may be the current offering from Husq in that class, but I don't see it ever creating the legacy or following the 242xp did for the diehard Husq enthusiast. My favorite 40cc saw that I have owned has been the stock 241cm. I should have held on to it, and had it ported, I thought it was mighty impressive stock, so can only imagine. It's pricey, but if it's used for its intended purpose, well worth it... and it's the saw to beat in that class.

prob so Ryan. and at that price, it's hard to argue against it. At retail, money is better spent on the 545/550- $/cc. The 543 may be the current offering from Husq in that class, but I don't see it ever creating the legacy or following the 242xp did for the diehard Husq enthusiast. My favorite 40cc saw that I have owned has been the stock 241cm. I should have held on to it, and had it ported, I thought it was mighty impressive stock, so can only imagine. It's pricey, but if it's used for its intended purpose, well worth it... and it's the saw to beat in that class.

I agree all around there..id never pay 500 bucks for a 543..but for around 300 clams its a hell of a saw when it breathes good.

Im a big 241 fan as well.

Id be after that 246xpg
wasnt any 246XPG, only 246G far as I know.
They where just as populare as 42 Special in Norway.
42, 42 special, 246, 246G, 242 SG, 242 XPG is some of the nicest saws Husky ever have made!

Attachments

• _DSC2773.jpg
    _DSC2773.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 27
  • _DSC2776.jpg
    _DSC2776.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 25
Back