Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea, andyshine if my saw could have possibly run like that I would still have it.

is there much difference on the (factory) larger bore 260 over the smaller bore? Mine was the slightly larger bore- cannot recall the mm

edit- i think it was 44.7 mm vs 44 ??

Last edited:
Do you have a pic of that my chance, that would be cool to see.

Beefie

saw is bone stock, 44.7mm top end, still has its base gasket too. Here's the mm

attachment.php

Beefie: As an outsider looking in, I was keying in on you stating it never ran correctly. If that was the case and there was a control group (different saw) that was assumed to be running correctly, then all statements in this thread would be true. It can actually be fun when everyone is right. The key to it all was your statement (in my estimation).

Beyond all that the bottom line is if YOU"RE happy, that is all that matters.

I've fixed and made more computers than I can recall. I lived to make them as fast as possible. Some chips (CPU's) just don't overclock well. Some are dogs and vice versa. I've even built two side by side PC's with the exact same parts and same OS (operating system= windows version). Needless to say, not a chance they ran the same without some tweaking. Some things just need fixing, tweaking, overhauling etc even if they are world class to begin with.

Sounds to me like your saw was saved by the bell. Enjoy...

The bottom line is, don't ever expect anywhere close to 60% gains from a woods port. Not on any saw from any builder. Suggest differently is misleading. With that said, my very first port job was a MS260. It was a screamer before I was done with it. It ran a 044 carb, 038 intake boot, and ran like a banshee. It was still a work saw though. The biggest bottle neck on it was the MS260 filter it was still wearing.

this is a saw that used to ride on my skidder behind the seat. it has still got the oem car and filter and is just a good hot woods port. and no its not a race chain . just a good sharp round filed work chain

[video=youtube;j2BZHxK5Am0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2BZHxK5Am0&feature=plcp&context=C4c66c1fVDvjVQa1PpcFP5NIGFvJQbv_JMU3FYmFXxgRFc5fHrB4A%3D[/video]

The bottom line is, don't ever expect anywhere close to 60% gains from a woods port. Not on any saw from any builder. Suggest differently is misleading. With that said, my very first port job was a MS260. It was a screamer before I was done with it. It ran a 044 carb, 038 intake boot, and ran like a banshee. It was still a work saw though. The biggest bottle neck on it was the MS260 filter it was still wearing.

Well this is my first saw that has been modified, well second saw the 361 is there as well. So this stuff is still greek to me, I have had a chance to run a few modified saws at gtg. I am looking forward to running these saws.

What type of fuel mileage were you getting out of that saw Brad, i mean was it still the same or did it start drinking like a 044? How many tanks of Gas to the bar oil? Wasn't that the saw that went to texas for that charity build for the retired firefighter, do you remember that one?

Beefie

I never thought the 260's ran all that bad stock with a MM.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IoKHErMFruU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IoKHErMFruU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The MS260 3.2hp is a POS for performance until you open up the muffler or port them.

this is a saw that used to ride on my skidder behind the seat. it has still got the oem car and filter and is just a good hot woods port. and no its not a race chain . just a good sharp round filed work chain

[video=youtube;j2BZHxK5Am0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2BZHxK5Am0&feature=plcp&context=C4c66c1fVDvjVQa1PpcFP5NIGFvJQbv_JMU3FYmFXxgRFc5fHrB4A%3D[/video]

What type of wood was that cant? and what size?

Beefie

8x8 cant if I remember right. I was running the video camera for that one. That little 026 would really get it. It wasn't running alky then.

thats 8x8 white pine. thats what you usually race 3 cube saws in. this saw got decapitated at a later date and i was then running an 066 carb drilled for alky/nitro. it got a whole lot faster . but it sure didnt get hauled around on the skidder anymore. i think i traded logging22 the head and carb that i built for it later on.

thats 8x8 white pine. thats what you usually race 3 cube saws in. this saw got decapitated at a later date and i was then running an 066 carb drilled for alky/nitro. it got a whole lot faster . but it sure didnt get hauled around on the skidder anymore. i think i traded logging22 the head and carb that i built for it later on.

I see in your sig that you offer Mild woods porting to Hot woods porting. Wear would that saw fall in to play, and since it was a wood work saw what type of fuel mileage were you getting out of it?

Beefie

at the point in the video it was a hot woods port but workable all day long cutting if you wanted to. i never check fuel economy of a saw. i measure the a saw in wood downed and bucked up. i dont usually run a 50cc saw long enough at one time to empty the tank. i keep them around just for missed limbs or cutting my falling saw out of a pinch. not that a logger ever gets his saw pinched :msp_wink:

Well this is my first saw that has been modified, well second saw the 361 is there as well. So this stuff is still greek to me, I have had a chance to run a few modified saws at gtg. I am looking forward to running these saws.

What type of fuel mileage were you getting out of that saw Brad, i mean was it still the same or did it start drinking like a 044? How many tanks of Gas to the bar oil? Wasn't that the saw that went to texas for that charity build for the retired firefighter, do you remember that one?

Beefie

It takes fuel to make power. The more power a saw makes, the more fuel it will require. The BIL saw was a different saw. The saw above is Nik's.

Back