262XP clutch needle bearing, spanner for clutch removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the 502522202 from baileys since they are site sponsor and searching around it appears that one is likely the one that will work.
If it does work, I'll update this thread to confirm.

So the above 502522202 is NOT the right tool for the 262XP -- it's too big and works on 357 and 359 clutches (at least that's what a bunch of search reveals).

The other one 502514501 says its for saws 42 and 246 and only has 2 prongs, the 262 would need a 3 prong tool (3 shoe clutch)

I guess I'll take a socket to work and machine it down flat to try and bite the tiny bit of hex head that is exposed.

You would want a 3/4" or 19mm socket, a 1 inch is too big -- the I.D. of the 502522202 tool for 357/359 clutch is 1 inch so if you are going to make your own for that clutch I would recommend a 1 inch socket.

Hoping this info will be found useful for someone in the future.

I'll be taking saw and socket to work and have the shop guys there help me machine a 19mm socket flat and probably cut some prongs into it with the bridgeport machine.

I actually pulled the clutch off of my 262XP last night with a standard socket with no issues. The spring in mine needed to be replaced. There is not much meat there for the socket, but it was apparently enough.

I just found a scrench fits the clutch pretty nice and is rather flat, better than my stock socket. I used a small pipe for more leverage over the scrench but it still came off on me before breaking free.
I know my buddy from the shop will help me with this thing... breaker bar and pins ground in for more leverage will defeat this freakin clutch... what a PITA.

I used the box end of a Gear Wrench to get mine off, held it flat on the nut with one thumb and wrenched with the other hand. I had to smack the wrench a couple times with a hammer, then gave a pull and it let go...

SR

Got the socket from Al (dr255) and it took all of 30 seconds to get the clutch off. Al -- thank you! I'll return the favor down the road my friend.

Here's some pictures -- I plan to get a new clutch drum and needle bearing (clutch drum has oregon number on it will see what I can find)

Output shaft and seal or whatever look like any problem to you guys given metal teeth parts were floating around between rim sprocket and needle bearing?
Shaft has center hole to deliver grease to needle bearing -- nice. Although I still like the inboard clutch on my 372 better even though you have to remove e-clip and drum to grease the bearing.

One more question: Are the shoes on the clutch all done? Husky manual says must have 1 mm of material I can't tell what I have here?
Looking at the edge of a shoe in the last picture it looks like just metal to me... this is all new to me guys. Should I get new clutch / clutch shoes?
Spring looks ok I guess -- some wear, but the clutch was working just fine before the drum cracked into pieces. Run the clutch til it fails with a new / different drum?

Thanks guys -- excited to get some parts and get her back online.

IMG_20160104_215331757.jpg IMG_20160104_215612807.jpg IMG_20160104_215707508.jpg IMG_20160104_220212096.jpg IMG_20160104_220223387.jpg IMG_20160104_220234199.jpg IMG_20160104_220246944.jpg IMG_20160104_223059415.jpg

Looks like an old model of 262, is worm gear for the oil pump pressed on? That drum that you have will easy to find as it also fits a 55. As far as the clutch you wound know until you get a new drum. When I changed my drum , I ended up having to change the spring.

Jeremy

Looks like an old model of 262, is worm gear for the oil pump pressed on? That drum that you have will easy to find as it also fits a 55. As far as the clutch you wound know until you get a new drum. When I changed my drum , I ended up having to change the spring.

Jeremy

I honestly don't know -- first time I've had this apart. What looks like a step drill with 3 "steps" the output shaft is coming through is on there solid and doesn't move or anything an appears fine to me even though there was metal fragments -- I think the needle bearing took most of that beating. On exploded parts view I have it looks like oil pump gear is behind that.

Yes this is an oldie -- It's a 1991 with S/N 1100402 so 1991 week 10 saw number 0402

I'm going to order Oregon drum ORF 34425X, Husky OEM bearing 503253401. and Oregon bearing ORF 11893 (they aren't expensive and I'll have a spare) from Baileys.
The 7 pin rim sprocket looks fine and was replaced recently when Randy went through the saw.

As long as old clutch works OK with the new drum I should be back online.
While I'm at it I'm going to get the spring 503577401 since it's only a few bucks and since I'm shipping other stuff already.

Baileys even has the complete clutch if I need one, not in stock but perhaps they can get it in a week.

So I think I'll be all set here.

Some people exchsnge their bronse worm gear over to the plastic worm gear when they first have to exchange the clutch drummel. Clutch drummel is of course different then what you have.
It take a bit more work but it gives an easy access to the seal ring later

The 262 clutch is pricey. You can get by with a 55 clutch just fine it was used on a 261. With the set up you have the oil pump is always turning the ones with plastic worm only when the drum is moving. If is not broke don't fix unless you want to.

Jeremy

Oiler works fine and now that I can take this apart easily I'll go with aint broke dont fix approach. Thanks guys!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I saw your vid you had made the 3 prong socket. A road trip to you crossed my mind too bad you are not closer. I grew up in Portland and Glastonbury CT. I worked a summer job in Avon... You from around there?

Anyone of the opinion I should replace the clutch based on my pictures? I honestly don't know if there is much shoe material left looks worn to me.

I have a possible site for GTG in a meadow where our sugarshack is. The thought has crossed my mind many times. Maybe I could make something happen when it gets warm. Have a few land clearing companies around who might donate some logs with the proper food and beverage offering

I picked up a spring and will replace if it gets the grab problem. Yes we need another GTG around here. Maybe I can work with Bill and my brother and perhaps you too Matty to make something happen. We have access to a couple of mini excavators just like dans for moving logs etc. The meadow is a really sweet site.

Latest posts

Back