288 pics updated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
Some of you may remember this saw. I got it as a very low hour bow saw a little while back. The bow is going to be reassigned to a Shindaiwa 757 project. It balances just slightly nose heavy with the 36" RW bar. Hopefully I can find some wood big enough to give it a workout soon. Just thought I'd share. It has been sitting on my bench for months now.

uta7y4u9.jpg
ebu9asu3.jpg

Yes, big D, the serial number checks out.

"Before" pic
uqeby3em.jpg

Last edited:
Man..Id love to have that saw/bow set-up...sweeeeet !!

I have been looking for a nice 288 Lite for a long time. Yours will turn up someday. I had to pay up for this one. The handle was a deal from here, but the 36" lightweight bar cost me also. It's younger brother 390 will come home later this week. It'll probably get the same treatment. Though I may put a shorter bar on just so I can actually use the thing.

Nice saw, ran the 288xp lite I recently acquired on Sunday. It absolutely ripped, 20" 3/8 with an 8 pin cut like a dream. It also might be the best sounding saw I've ran. I don't come across a lot of husky's in this area, but I can vouch for the 288's!

Just wondering. What is the purpose of the bow bars. Never seen 1 till I joined here.

Look over in the "stickies", we have a whole thread on them. Bows are (were) mostly found in the south and used for cutting pulpwood. It allowed the operator to cut wood on the ground without killing his back. Also, the narrow height of the bow rail prevented pinching in the cut.

The went by the wayside due to safety concerns, I have a dozen or more of them.

The went by the wayside due to safety concerns, I have a dozen or more of them.
They never show up where Im at...I guess I see why !! If you ever are wanting to get rid of a good one..give me a shout .Kind of a curiousity !

Let's see the picture of the Shiny, does it have a fez? Are you modifying the clutch cover?

Well Gary, the pics are not much right now. I recently acquired a pair of 757s, and have never seen one with a bow. Both saws are non runner projects. Not 100% sure this is the bow I want to use. I may use a newer one. I will NOT be cutting any covers if I can help it. I'd rather have another slot milled in the bow.

They never show up where Im at...I guess I see why !! If you ever are wanting to get rid of a good one..give me a shout .Kind of a curiousity !

While I rarely sell saws, I have only parted with one bow. Given they are becoming more difficult to find I am now hoarding them. They do shoe up from time to time if you keep your eyes open.

Well Gary, the pics are not much right now. I recently acquired a pair of 757s, and have never seen one with a bow. Both saws are non runner projects. Not 100% sure this is the bow I want to use. I may use a newer one. I will NOT be cutting any covers if I can help it. I'd rather have another slot milled in the bow.

You will need to have a notch in the clutch cover to accommodate the rise in the bow from the sprocket. If not, you will not be able to draw up the cover and hold the bow tight. I bet a small bandsaw with a fence would work well.

You will need to have a notch in the clutch cover to accommodate the rise in the bow from the sprocket. If not, you will not be able to draw up the cover and hold the bow tight. I bet a small bandsaw with a fence would work well.

If I use a later bow, it'll stick more downward and not rise up as much. I think I have another Husky style one with two bar slots in it. I guess it is not much of a deal cutting a cover. I have a few older saws where the CASE has been cut. That is crap.

While I rarely sell saws, I have only parted with one bow. Given they are becoming more difficult to find I am now hoarding them. They do shoe up from time to time if you keep your eyes open.
I dont blame you for hangin on to them...if you ever change your mind...give me a shout .For now...Ill keep my eyes..and ears open !!

20140101_160744.jpg Here is my 288xp with 32" bar and a 181se with thin ring piston. I have a 24 on the 181 now and will be looking for a lite 28 for the 288. I have another 288 with good topend in a bucket and I will be picking up another 181, will have enough parts for another 288. These are my favorite huskys good power lots of torque great sound.

Latest posts

Back