288xp 394xp or 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprintmotor45

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Which one of the three would be the best bang for my buck? I already have the middle and small size classes covered and would like a really big saw for cutting up logs. I really dont want to buy new if possible. Performance per size is my biggest concern. My other concern is the weight. I also would like to not get screwed on ebay again so, If any one has one for sale I would be interested. Running or not.

Amen about the weight. I think that if you can find a good 394xp that would be great. You can probably find a better deal on one of them than the newer 395xp, and still have the same saw (mostly). The 288xp (not the lite, no,no,no!) is a good saw, but they are hyped up to be a super saw, which they are, so this drives up price at least in my area, so I think a 394xp will give you more bang for your buck. Good luck!

Which one of the three would be the best bang for my buck? I already have the middle and small size classes covered and would like a really big saw for cutting up logs. I really dont want to buy new if possible. Performance per size is my biggest concern. My other concern is the weight. I also would like to not get screwed on ebay again so, If any one has one for sale I would be interested. Running or not.
Weight isn't an important consern for just bucking. :)

they are all good saws, they are all heavy, don't be concerned about weight if your buying any one of those saws.

Plus 1.
You don't buy one of these saw and worry about weight. It's like buying a GMC Kodiak then worring about fuel mileage.
But is weight really is a problem. Buy something like a 7900 and have it built. My 7900 with a muffler mod will almost run with my 066.
Now a modded 90cc say. That's a different story.

I had the same thoughts going thru my mind. I wanted a bigger saw, so I started looking for the best parts saw for the money. I didnt care which one. The first good deal I ran into was a 288xp so I bought that. Im in the process of collecting the parts right now so I can rebuild it. This way I will know what Ive got when its finished. I have always liked to take things that dont work and make them good again. I would say runnng or not you will most likely find the 288xp for the least amount of cash and if your looking for the best bang for your buck it would be a good choice. there all good choices so hunt for the best deal you can find. Good luck with what you end up with. Rick!

I like the smoothness of 394/395, it's important to me for sustained use.

Also I don't know if the 288 has air injection. That is worth something as it works near perfectly. Can't remember, but seems like it started with the 3xx saws.

Last edited:
I like the smoothness of 394/395, it's important to me for sustained use.

Also I don't know if the 288 has air injection. That is worth something as it works near perfectly. Can't remember, but seems like it started with the 3xx saws.

It doesn't - but it started with the 262xp (for Husky that is), not with the 3xx saws.

The 394xp was the first large saw to have it.

Last edited:
I would like to know too, I've only seen the older 288's.
Dok

I answer this question with the understanding that I am being led into the lions den. My experience has been simply this: All the 288's on the market are used. The low top units as seen on the 288xp lite use a filter that at least in my opinion is less desirable than the ones used on the high top units. The 288xp lites I have personally owned second hand have all been subject to users (human nature) that did not clean the filter as religiously as they should have, therefore the saw suffers. The high top units have a bigger better filter, and dust has a harder time getting into the motor. But most of you guys like to mod your equipment, and maybe early engine failure is useful to your hobby? So maybe I should have made a distinction, only 288xp's with the high top should be bought second hand. This is my experience and opinion. I am sure you guys have yours too. The 288xp is an excellent saw nonetheless.

BTW who wants to own a saw with lite on it anyway?

288 lite

I beleave other than the low top covers all 288 lites had a compression release, older xp's did not. later xp's came with the compresion release. the lite also came with only rubber mounts installed between the tank handle and crankcase. the xp's had a bracket installed on the tank handle with a spring mounted between it and the inside dog. Myself I dont know why anyone would down the 288 lite saw. just clean the filter more often or convert it over the the high top if it makes you feel better. the lite was built to reduce a little weight over the xp saws. It just depends on what you want.

288 holds its own wearing a 36 inch bar... not as smooth as the 395 but lighter... i like em both use em both

Back