346xp vs. 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They surely did, and the 346xp handles a lot better than the 026 for limbing etc - but I always liked the 026 quite a bit anyway, simply because it is light and good quality. It lacks a really good top end though.
The 026 handles just as well, and the stock 346OE lacks top end torque but revs qiucker. A 026 will hold more rpm in the wood with a 16" bar buried. NE has it no question.

In case you did not know randy really likes his 261c. When i ask him what is his favorite saw.....guess what he says.....261c!

You mean you can run a chainsaw without porting it? ....I suppose you can but I highly don't recommend that. I ran my 261c for about 5 minutes before it went to randy. I felt like it was only fair to the saw!

The Ported 346 is a great saw. However most people will grab my ported 2253 when it gets set down. Autotune, with red and black seem to combine nicely. I personally think the one with the best chain will perform best. Year round the auto tune does a better job than I can do with a screwdriver.

That 2153 is the fastest 50cc saw I've built......ever.

i know you have had the opportunity to use the echo cs 500p is it even in there in between these saws? i have owned an 026 and an 026 pro years ago loved them.... over the years with lawn stuff i like echo ....been curious how the 500p is in the line up the only husqvarna i have is the older 51 dependable saw.....

i know you have had the opportunity to use the echo cs 500p is it even in there in between these saws? i have owned an 026 and an 026 pro years ago loved them.... over the years with lawn stuff i like echo ....been curious how the 500p is in the line up the only husqvarna i have is the older 51 dependable saw.....

yea i read it and watched videos...... i ment stock or just muffler mod,,,,

Am I the only saw owner that despises outboard clutches? To me, the outboard clutch on the 346 is it's "Flippy Cap".
Maybe not, but basically yes - as saws with outboard clutches basically handle much better than those with inboards - this isn't exactly news on here (or anywhere). It makes a big difference that the bar gets closer to the gravity centre of the saw.

There aren't really any disadvantages with the outboards, once you know haw to handle them. ;)

Am I the only saw owner that despises outboard clutches? To me, the outboard clutch on the 346 is it's "Flippy Cap".

I like inboard clutches as well, I prefer the husqvarna saw pre filtration and anti vibration features over most stihl saws. For example the husky 562 vs stihl ms 362....the outboard clutch on the 562 has me reaching for the stihl every time even though the 562 outperforms the 362 . I recently purchased a husky 365xt this summer great saw with an inboard clutch.

I bought a new ms 261 c over a new 550 husky due to the inboard clutch on the stihl....oh, and the new 261c is awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Maybe not, but basically yes - as saws with outboard clutches basically handle much better than those with inboards - this isn't exactly news on here (or anywhere). It makes a big difference that the bar gets closer to the gravity centre of the saw.

There aren't really any disadvantages with the outboards, once you know haw to handle them. ;)

I don't get it?
The few husky's I have tried at the dealership did not feel all that great. I have not been around chainsaws enough to know the ins and outs, I guess.

To each his own.

I don't get it?
The few husky's I have tried at the dealership did not feel all that great. I have not been around chainsaws enough to know the ins and outs, I guess.

To each his own.

Well, I don't know which ones you "tried", or the conditions - anyway, not all Huskys have outboards, and not all Stihls have inboards. ;)

What's nice is that a fellow can be away from this board for like 6 months & when he comes back we get the same old 260 vs 346 debate to make you feel right at home again. :)

That debate really was over about a decade ago - but it still turns up now and then - hopefully just for the heck of it!:blob2::chop:

I ended up first buying a dolmar 421, it felt the best of the 40cc saws. There is no stihl dealership here.

I was looking for a bit larger saw for second saw. The largest dolmar they had in was the 421 that I bought. The other brands they have are echo, poulan and husky. I didn't care much for those.

Back