357XP ported,decked, popup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Would a 357XP take to these mods as well as a 359? I know TW has built some hot 359's and I'm just wondering what would come of the smaller dispacement XP version? There are stuffers to consider. What else? Good candidate for a hot worksaw?

id think if you are planing to get one or the other you myswell get the 359 to save few bucks and gain a few ccs. i doubt ounce ported the 359 is loseing anything to the ported 357. so why not save a few bucks and get the 359.

unless ofcourse you already have the 357

theres your answere.

itl run very well after good port wideing and maybe blending the transfers. even without doing a pop up youll see some decent gains

Romeo built a 357 that Redprospector had run over and it placed 1st in its class being held together with wire and duct tape.

But generally the 359 is easier to mod

I would send this out for work if I do it. Sounds like its worthwhile doing though which is what I was wondering about. I was somewhat concerned that whatever is different about the 357 vs the 359 would make it such that there is less to be gained from a port job and popup considering the stock 357 already makes more power than a stock 359 with less dicplacement.

theyre is way more to gain then the difrence between the 357 and 359

Once I get my 357 broke in a bit, and save a bit more cash, I'm gonna send it to Brad and have him work his magic on it.

didn't i read that the hot set-up was 359 P/C on a 357 bottom-end? i've been thinking about doing one up this way.

I dunno? You mean take the bigger discplacement p&c and use the 357 crank with the stuffers?

I still don't know what exactly those stuffers do. I've heard lots of reasons. All I can see is that they move the fresh fuel charge up the transfers faster which I would think gives snappier acceleration. But, is there something about the design of the xp jug transfers that is needed to take advantage of that?

i remember some discussion several months ago about this set-up. if brad or someone with some experience would chime in on this i would appreciate it. it would be very simple to do.

the bigest difrence between the 357 and 359 is the porting, 2 ccs realy doesnt matter much

wait i think the biggest difrence is the big XP badge on the plastic. thats gota be worth the added half horse over the 359

I would send this out for work if I do it. Sounds like its worthwhile doing though which is what I was wondering about. I was somewhat concerned that whatever is different about the 357 vs the 359 would make it such that there is less to be gained from a port job and popup considering the stock 357 already makes more power than a stock 359 with less dicplacement.

Other than the stuffers/bells the only difference between the saws is the quality of the piston and cylinder sets. The reason that the 359 "responds well" to porting is the 359s have lots of room for improvements. People say they are "easier" to port because the transfer covers can be removed.

The piston and cylinder sets for 357s are typically finished much better and seem to have fewer casting flaws.

Gain should be reletively equal at the end but the 359 gains more along the way due to its slow start. Buy a 372.

I dunno? You mean take the bigger discplacement p&c and use the 357 crank with the stuffers?

I still don't know what exactly those stuffers do. I've heard lots of reasons. All I can see is that they move the fresh fuel charge up the transfers faster which I would think gives snappier acceleration. But, is there something about the design of the xp jug transfers that is needed to take advantage of that?

Less volume in the crankcase means that when the piston comes down theres more pressure to push the charge up the transfers.
I think the main reason the 359 jug works so well is the fact that the transfers can be got at so easy with the external plates covering them.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IZJeepcpaN8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IZJeepcpaN8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here is a video of Cutforfuns that has pop up piston decked and woods ported by Dave Neiger:)

So im guessing done right they should be good!

Back