359 Problems???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer0419

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just purchased a new Husky 359 online. Used it last night for a while with no problems. Went to start it tonight and can not get it to start. Ended up with a very small amount of fuel coming out the decompression valve? Is that just flooding or do I have bigger problems? My mixture is the same 50:1 mixture I use on all my equipment and have never had a problem.

Pull out the choke (sets the "on switch").

Set the decomp valve.

Pull until it pops. push the choke in and pull until it starts.

Do not touch the trigger or you will kick off the high idle....

My new one takes 3 to 4 pulls cold.

When warm, it takes one pull.

If its an E-Tech model i think that might be your issue . I got my new 359 with the e-tech and ran two tanks of gas through it with out modding it and i had enough of that program . It didnt want to cut very well , didnt want to idel and chips slowed it down big time , didnt want to start and always smelled of heavy gas , the plug was wet , the muffler was dripping fuel , man what a pain . First i did the muffler mod and said by , by to the cat no flow muffler ....... when i tacked the saw it was set at 9000 RMP & idel was 2000 RPM !!! Its rated for max of 13500 & 2700 idel !! No wonder gas was dripping out of the beast and it didnt want to idel , nor start and didnt have any power . I set the idel at 26200 rpm and the high rpm at 12600 untell it had a few more tanks of gas run through it . WOW , what a difference. The 359 at new with no adjustments and no modded muffler couldnt keep up with my small Craftsman 36 cc limb saw ....... now after all the carb adjustments and the modded muffler my 346XP has a hard time keeping up with the 359 in 12" + hard wood .

Thanks. It did cut ok but did seem that something was missing. And yes it is an E-Tech. I called all around but no luck on an old model. Here goes the stupid questions: I called a local Husky dealer yesterday and asked about putting the older muffler on and I was told it would make no difference in performance what so ever. He said 13500 rpm is 13500 rpm. The muffler would just be louder not better??? I need to take some type of small engine repair class or something!:dizzy:

hammer0419 said:
I called a local Husky dealer yesterday and asked about putting the older muffler on and I was told it would make no difference in performance what so ever. He said 13500 rpm is 13500 rpm. The muffler would just be louder not better??? I need to take some type of small engine repair class or something!:dizzy:

BWAHAHAHAHHAHA

The problem is the same one always. A technician's job it to restore correct factory performance. That has only a bastardized similarity to modification and high performance.

He was told in the eighties that these saws run off of RPM. We know better, but if he trys to wrap his mind around it he will be confused in the job he has been performing and will have to question all of his ideas and theories.

Let him just fix saws and move on.

Or..... ask him why your .1 bhp dremel turns 18,000 rpm, but will not outcut your 359.

Fred

I give up!!! If I did not have bad luck I would have NO luck what so ever. Still can not get this #@*&#@* peice of @#*@# to start. Figures. I bought online because it was a $135 difference compared to all the local dealers and I have never had problems with my previoius Husky saws. My old 350 started no matter what. It could sit for a month without being used and would start with a few pulls!

Pull out the plug, turn the saw upside down or whatever to drain out anything, pull it over a bunch without the plug, then clean the old plug and put it back it. If it has spark, it will start. If not, it's under warranty so take it to a Husky dealer...

You've gotta make sure you can recognize when that decomp valve "pops". Usually on a cold saw if you pull the starter with it choked and the decomp closed it will flood pretty quick. My buddy was doin' the same thing with his 359 until I told him he was floodin' it.

Gary

Gas71 is correct, but leave the decomp out of the equation until it's restarted the first time.. Decomp make it harder to start a flooded saw.

GASoline71 said:
You've gotta make sure you can recognize when that decomp valve "pops". Usually on a cold saw if you pull the starter with it choked and the decomp closed it will flood pretty quick. My buddy was doin' the same thing with his 359 until I told him he was floodin' it.

Gary

Gas. I never used a decomp. I think there is more to the equation, but my saws start or I make them.

Fred

I agree. I can start my 361 cold without the decomp as well. But trying to start a cold saw and missing the decomp "pop" will most likely flood the saw. On the 60cc saws the decomp valve is a nice feature, but IMO isn't really needed.

Gary

Called the place I bought it from and found out why I was having all my problems. I was told the NEW Husky's, when you pull the choke out does not activate the throttle (1/2 throttle) like the past models. He said start it on the ground with my toe holding the throttle in and it will fire up. If you do not depress the throttle you will just flood the new models, which I have proved and then some. Kind of sucks but she runs like hell now.............

I shut it down for a minute or two and it fired right up. When I depressed the throttle like they said, it fired on the first pull. I actually thought it would take a while.

I also noticed when I removed the cover that there is a movable lever to let air in or keep it out. It comes closed. Is there a right or wrong of when to open it or keep it closed? I would asume more air it would run better but the air filter would require more maintenance?

hammer0419 said:
I also noticed when I removed the cover that there is a movable lever to let air in or keep it out. It comes closed. Is there a right or wrong of when to open it or keep it closed? I would asume more air it would run better but the air filter would require more maintenance?
The little vent hole is open for winter cold weather use and close it in the warmer weather .

Latest posts

Back